Friday, April 28, 2017

Three Churches In Vanier

In the latter part of March I paid a visit to the Vanier area. A number of small nineteenth century communities were incorporated into the town of Eastview over a century ago, and by 1963 it had grown to city status. In 1969 it was renamed in honour of Georges Vanier, the recently deceased Governor General. Vanier, which has a strong French speaking population, was amalgamated into Ottawa with the rest of the Region of Ottawa-Carleton back in 2001, and today is referred to as the Quartier Vanier. I took a number of photographs while here, including a pair I featured earlier this month from the Rideau River. Four buildings in particular caught my eye on this visit, and I'm featuring three of them today, and the fourth tomorrow. The first is St. Margaret's Anglican Church. Built in 1887 in the Gothic style, this little church was a country parish at the time. It's now surrounded by an urban environment, and is one of the oldest buildings in Vanier.


A short walk away is Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a Catholic church. The parish was founded in 1930, and the current building was finished in 1940.


And the third is just down the street from Assumption. It is Eastview Baptist Church. The congregation's origins date back to the 1870s, and this church building dates to the 1920s.

35 comments:

  1. They are all different and lovely in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...as Linda said, they are all so different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very different from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of 19th century communities.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three very different styles here William.. looking forward to seeing the fourth building, it must be special seeing as it's getting star billing ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Linda: I agree.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Tom: that they are.

    @Marianne: they do.

    @Janis: it is odd to think of this area once being rural.

    @Marleen: I agree.

    @Grace: the other building is new, and serves a different purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the word "Assumption". :-) I'm more use to seeing it referred to as the "Blessed Assumption".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed seeing the exterior of these churches and wondered if you are planning a future post on the interiors of each. I imagine they will all be quite unique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You live in an area rich in history. Thanks for bringing the story to us .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting history. I do like St. Margaret's---neat style
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think my favourite is the old Anglican church...or maybe I'm just biased in favour of "old" things and people. Don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite is the first one. Beautiful stone work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Revrunner: some of those Catholic churches can have grand names!

    @Beatrice: the building I'll show tomorrow is regularly featured in Doors Open in June. I'm hoping one or more of these churches are also included, because I'd like to come down this way for that event. I've seen a picture of St. Margaret's inside, and it's a beauty.

    @Red: you're welcome.

    @MB: it is quite appealing, but I've always liked Gothic architecture.

    @Lowell: this one works quite well indeed.

    @Sharon: I figured it would be popular.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The stone one is my favourite. The different styles are very appealing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. very creative architecture and love those windows!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  16. The other two may be larger, but neither gives the impression of sheer mass that the one built in 1887 gives to the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Certainly interesting to see the three different styles here William and a little about the history too.
    Thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. All three are attractive churches and I like all three. A very nice selection!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. You should link to InSpired Sunday! (Google it :)

      Delete
  20. I love the stone buildings. We don't have that where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm getting to love these old churches!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @RedPat: I do too.

    @Bill: it's quite a difference in styles.

    @Beth: me too.

    @Whisk: it has good lines.

    @Mari: and yet it's smaller, at least to the Catholic church.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Kay: thank you.

    @Cloudia: I have done so now. This post is linked up there.

    @Joan: we've got a lot of Gothic architecture here.

    @Jennifer: they've got character.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice collection of churches, the third stands out for me

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always love your church photos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful photos of churches. I like capture #4 the most with snow and path.

    ReplyDelete