Saturday, October 3, 2026

Ends And Odds In The Capital

 We begin today with the Aberdeen Pavilion at Lansdowne Park at night. This is unique, the last surviving example of late 19th century exhibition hall architecture of its type in the country. Late last month, work began around the perimeter for some rehabilitation, coinciding with the work elsewhere on the property. The roof needs some work, which requires closing the building off with scaffolding.


Elsewhere on the property, also at night. At the east end of the property, I took this shot, with the constellation Orion rising above the southern horizon. This stays in the skies for months before disappearing in the spring. A sure sign of the end of summer.


I've shown this as a work in progress. This mural downtown was finished off. I spoke with the artist, and gave him my compliments on how well it looked.


Taken from home. I liked the moody skies and the last bits of light of the day showing themselves.


I was heading to an event one day in the first half of September when I noticed this panel on a wall in Little Italy, and photographed it.


Coming back, I was on the north-south LRT line as it crossed a bridge over the Rideau River between Vincent Massey Park and Carleton University. A number of years ago, a parallel pedestrian bridge was added here.


The waters are relatively shallow here, but swift.


On another late afternoon in the Glebe, the look of these clouds caught my eye.


Attending another event, I found that a rescue organization was present. The group saves exotic animals, and makes use of them for educational purposes. This is the marginated tortoise, which is normally found in dry environments around Italy, Greece, and the south Balkans.


And this is a ball python. Yes, of course I touched it. I wonder what it was thinking.


One morning in the second half of September, I came by Lansdowne to photograph some early fall colours. The rising sun illuminating the east side of the Aberdeen Pavilion required photographing.


As did the Horticulture Building, which is nearby. This regularly hosts a variety of events, and will be hosting those events that are normally held in the Pavilion during the rehabilitation project.

7 comments:

  1. I love the turtle, the views and the mural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos, the views of the river and the tortoise are favorites. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful tour, but I can do without the snake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tortoise and the python look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mural is wonderful, William.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful night photos and great 'animals' and group saving them ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete