Late in July I stopped by the Canadian Museum of History for a return visit to a temporary exhibit before it closes later this month. It concentrates on Impressionist art in the St. Lawrence Valley.
Here we have The Port of Montreal, by Maurice Cullen, dating to 1915.
River Of Dreams: Impressionism On The St. Lawrence gathers together art from galleries and private collections across the country. Impressionism is a personal favourite style of art for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed taking this in.
Marc-Aurele De Foy Suzor-Cote painted Smog, Port of Montreal in 1914.
Here we see another painting by Cullen. St. James Cathedral, Dominion Square, Montreal dates from 1909-12.
Street Scene, Montreal, is the work of Henrietta Mabel May, painted around 1913.
Two paintings by the same artist, Robert Pilot. At top we have Lachine Canal, done in 1916. Below is Glow Effect, dating to 1919.
Montreal in this period was the dominant city in Canada, only eclipsed decades later by Toronto.
Winter Evening On Craig Street is by Cullen, dating around 1912.
Blizzard, Craig Street, Montreal also dates to that year, and is another Cullen work.
This is Snowstorm, Evening, by Cullen, dating around 1911.














Nice paintings. And I really like the gold frames. 💛
ReplyDeleteWonderful paintings of winter scenes.
ReplyDeleteOnly Wow... I enjoyed reading very much for the Details.
ReplyDeleteThey really should be on my walls.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful paintings! Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.
ReplyDelete...I would have enjoyed see this is person, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fine collection of art in this museum.
ReplyDeleteLovely art works ~ thanks ~ Hugs ^_^
ReplyDeleteNice.I like the paintings with snow best, William.
ReplyDeleteI had never seen these before and they’re quite elegant. I’m amazed how much color the artists Found in Scenes with snow!
ReplyDeleteThese paintings are very beautiful.
ReplyDelete