Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Chambers

I took these shots on two different days, one day in late December before we had a serious snowfall, and the second day in early January after the snow had come. On the west side of Elgin Street across from the War Memorial, three buildings occupy the space between Queen Street and Sparks Street, collectively called The Chambers. The larger one to the left is called the Central Chambers, while the smaller one is the Bell Block. The third building, visible on the right in the third shot, is the Scottish Ontario Chambers building, which houses among other things, the D'Arcy McGee pub, which I showed recently. The Chambers is a national historic site, and houses the offices of the National Capital Commission. The more austere looking Bell Block dates back to 1867. The Scottish Ontario Chambers was built in 1883, with a design from the Victorian Italianite style. And Central Chambers, completed in 1893, is designed in the Queen Anne Revival style. Extensive work has been done on the inside, so the three buildings are linked together.


A reminder to members of City Daily Photo: the theme day for February is Scenes From A Coffee Shop.

33 comments:

  1. What fine shots and an impressive building too. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all three buildings William but the Central Chambers is rather special, very nice heritage grouping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and the shape of the windows...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the facade on the largest building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tomas: thanks!

    @Blogoratti: I will have to photograph inside at some point.

    @Grace: we don't have a lot of the Queen Anne style here.

    @Janis: I quite agree!

    @Marianne: I have probably featured them at earlier points in the background of shots.

    @Hilary: as did I.

    @Norma: that one impresses me the most too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I sound like a broken record but I'm and advocate of keeping old buildings alive and functional. It's also important to maintain their history as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all for repurposing older buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are very attractive buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Repurposing older buildings is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to see this architectural style. It's very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful historic site. Those buildings look gorgeous and how convenient they are linked inside!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Red: these ones seem well used.

    @EG: it's a good thing to have them preserved instead of torn down, particularly in a location like this.

    @Sharon: I'm just surprised I haven't featured them on their own before.

    @Linda: that they are.

    @VP: these buildings remain quite vital to the downtown core this way.

    @Marleen: it really is.

    @Tamago: yes, the architecture inside is rather surprising, actually. I've been in on the odd occasion.

    @Nancy: I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful architecture. Reminds me of a building in SoHo in NYC I think...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wondering what the theme was. I don't drink coffee so this will be a hard one.
    I like all of these buildings a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting collection of styles William, very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dang! You're clearly not taxed according to the number of windows. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Cloudia: indeed!

    @Ciel: I imagine the architectural styles are popular.

    @RedPat: I don't either but I do have a spot in mind.

    @Geoff: thanks!

    @Revrunner: not as far as I know!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many styles in such a tight group.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the harmony and "fit" among these buildings, despite different heights, colors, styles, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These buildings are real beauties. I'm glad they were preserved and it's nice to hear there are interior links, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice series of these wonderful buildings. They have much more soul than most modern building.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Mari: I'll have to photograph these buildings again in different seasons.

    @Beatrice: I certainly think so!

    @Jack: they seem to work well together.

    @Kay: there have been times here when old buildings have been neglected or torn down. These ones are worth preserving.

    @Orvokki: thanks!

    @Jennifer: thank you!

    @Jan: they do, yes.

    ReplyDelete