Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Ottawa School Of Art

 Nuit Blanche was a big part of the bicentennial party in the downtown core, taking place in the Byward Market. The dusk to dawn arts festival has been back with a preview last fall, after getting interrupted by Covid, and I particularly wanted to see this. I stopped in at one of the participating sites, the Ottawa School of Art. The school is a non-profit art school serving the community in a variety of ways, and this is one of two locations, the other being out in Orleans. The place was busy.


I headed upstairs, finding a cartooning workshop where guests could have a go at things.


Another workshop was busy, this one working with clay.


Moving along, I came into one studio where a small band was playing. I noticed this work on a sheet, looking vaguely human. It drew my eye.


And the music drew my ear.


Another studio, with multiple easels. Instructors were working with guests, who were painting their own interpretations of a cottage in a meadow scene projected onto the wall.


Back downstairs, there is a gallery space where the visitor can buy art made here in the school.


Back outside, and a look up at the building. The school has roots going back nearly 150 years now, and remains a vibrant part of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment