As I'd said, I knew that I wouldn't be able to see everything at this bicentennial party, but I wanted to make one more stop, seeing as how the establishment was very visibly taking part in the festivities. I crossed the Rideau Canal via the Mackenzie King Bridge, taking two shots looking north towards Plaza Bridge, where this series started. Landmarks include the National Arts Centre and Parliament Hill at left, and the Chateau Laurier and Government Conference Centre at right. It looked like an official party was departing the NAC.
I headed onto the terrace at the NAC, since that was my destination, and took this photo across the Canal of the Ottawa Convention Centre. Its architecture has always appealed to me.
A look to the left gives us the Chateau and the Conference Centre. Both date to 1912, and the latter started its life as a train station linked to the hotel. These days it hosts the Senate while work on Parliament Hill continues.
Another shot, looking at the NAC. Sections of glass-dominated additions were added on and opened up for 2017, creating more space and off-setting the Brutalist architecture.
I photographed a section of art when I entered the building. A Given Number Of Owls is a 1972 work by Jack Shadbolt.
This is a portion of a large door within the NAC. Beyond it is a large room used for multiple purposes. I once donated blood in that room. I've always liked this door. It feels like something out of science fiction, like Blade Runner.
The NAC hosts classical music, pop and jazz concerts, and theatre, and is a national institution. It's also very much part of the city, and was busy being part of the city's bicentennial party.
There was a display on the Canadian singer k.d. lang, who has become very much an icon over the years while remaining distinctly herself.
Several display cases included some of her clothing. This design is the Nudie Suit.
And this is her Honky Tonk Angels' Medley jacket, dating to a 1988 performance.













No comments:
Post a Comment