Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Snow Goons

"I bet he's making an army! In a few days, he could build a hundred snow goons! If each of them built another hundred, then those all built a hundred more, why... that would be pretty cool, if they weren't out to kill me." ~ Calvin
"I vote we make tracks for Florida." ~ Hobbes

On the second weekend of Winterlude, Lansdowne Park had the football field opened up for kids to come build snowmen. Most of these are small- about three feet tall, and some of them seem to be of geometric, peculiar shapes. And we had snow afterwards, so some of them got buried in the snow, and are present in the form of pyramids of the white stuff. I was oddly reminded of that terracotta army in China, all silent and just waiting for orders.


Going around to the east side of the stadium allowed me a closer bit of access, as the gate was open. I stopped to photograph the ridge line, which is being used these days for toboggans.


Once on the field itself, I photographed some of the snowy figures. This is the first time I've been on the field. The snowmen look like a silent army, some with odd shapes, others looking almost armoured.


Leaving again through the gate, I paused to photograph the pedestrian bridge that links the stadium's north side with the ridge, with the Aberdeen Pavilion behind it.

36 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG OMG !
    Fabulous post !
    Adore the army of snowmen they are darling.
    BUT...
    I love the 4th black and white photo I would blow that up super huge or even paper a wall . Most Fabulous !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between the Calvin and Hobbes quote and the "terracotta" snowmen, you outdid yourself today!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your comparison with the terracotta army!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have ever seen quite that much snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Parsnip: thanks!

    @Gunn: indeed!

    @Marleen: there must have been hundreds.

    @Janis: thank you.

    @Marianne: it seemed appropriate.

    @Francisco: thanks.

    @Janey: we've had a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that would have taken a while to make. I see a comment about Calvin and Hobbes, no kidding ... that is too funny! very creative! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally amazing. Looks so neat and great that you could get so close and I love your comments. Super post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do look like soldiers awaiting their orders! Even sort of eerie looking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The snowmen look somewhat ghostly as if they are in camouflage. the photo is dark so the spookiness is emphasized.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Beth: I love that comic strip.

    @Lauren: it did require tramping through snow!

    @Jenny: they do!

    @Cloudia: thanks!

    @Sharon: they are indeed.

    @Red: I liked the result.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The snowmen will rule, awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo love these frozen & eroding snowmen! Looks like they have already been in the wars and have limped (rolled?) home en masse. Was it a little eerie getting closer to them? I doubt they were making much noise now that everyone has forgotten about them. Maybe they are behind gates/fences for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great contrast to the buried Chinese army, William. My, you have a lot of snow up there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Linda: thanks!

    @Mo: quite different.

    @RedPat: me too.

    @Bill: thanks!

    @Norma: they do have that going on.

    @Wendy: I imagine the warm up we had on the weekend did some damage to these.

    @Catalyst: yes, we've got plenty of snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, your comparison to the terracotta army in China, is perfect!
    Standing silent and just waiting for orders.

    Lovely set of photo's

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kind of like China's Terracotta Army.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally agree! They do remind me of terracotta army!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are very very envious of your snow at the moment. I was reminded of the terracotta army also as soon as I saw your first photo. And I love the Calvin and Hobbes quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun post! What a fascinating scene! Both the terra cotta army AND Calvin and Hobbes come to mind. And the final snowman shot makes me think of storm troopers in Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good heavens that's quite an army of snowmen William, such a fun idea but when everyone has gone and it's all quiet they sit there rather menacingly ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope these snowy figures will not be buried by more snow. Very well camouflaged army.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree, it is reminiscent of the terra cotta army. Bet those kids had so much fun building their snowmen and I am applauding them for opening the field up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Jan: thank you!

    @Revrunner: definitely!

    @FG: yes! It didn't happen this year, but the park had something else going on.

    @Tamago: they really have that feeling.

    @Debs: I miss Calvin & Hobbes.

    @Kay: they do feel like that.

    @Grace: yes, they did have something of a quiet menace about them.

    @Orvokki: so did I.

    @Nancy: we get a lot of snow.

    @Denise: it was a good idea.

    @Jennifer: it is!

    @Molly: indeed.

    ReplyDelete