Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Fate And Love

Picking up where I left off yesterday, I often stop by these three paintings, in the space beyond yesterday's gallery. You might have noticed the middle painting in one of yesterday's shots. Starting at left is Countess Tolstoya, a 1796 oil painting by Elizabeth Louise Vigee LeBrun, who had a big retrospective here at the Gallery back in 2016. Bacchus And Ariadne is an oil painting dating to around 1821, by the French artist Antoine-Jean Gros, depicting an element of Greek mythology and the Theseus story. On the right is Madame Ernestine Bioche de Misery, a portrait dating to 1807 by the artist Anne-Louis Girodet De Roucy-Trioson.


This painting is near those paintings. The French artist Pierre-Paul Prud'hon painted this allegorical oil painting in 1809. Love Seduces Innocence, Pleasure Entraps, And Remorse Follows is its title.


Salisbury Cathedral From The Bishop's Grounds is an 1820 oil painting by British artist John Constable, giving a view of the Gothic structure framed by trees.


French artist James Tissot produced this 1870 oil painting, The Partie Carree. This foursome is presented as a comedy of manners in their attire and behaviour.


Here we have a view from one of the side corridors. Down at the end we see Dancer framed in the doorway.


Two works by the same artist are nearby. Gustave Dore was another French artist. Souvenir Of Loch Lomond dates to 1875, and the oil painting depicts a brooding, moody Scottish scene.


A stark contrast by Dore is this sculpture, the source of today's post title. Fate And Love is an 1877 bronze, depicting figures of Greek mythology.


And for today I finish off with two works by the same French artist, Edgar Degas. During his first visit to Florence in 1858, Degas visited the Uffizi Gallery and like so many artists before him copied what he was seeing. He produced a painting from one of his sketches, of a portrait that at the time had been attributed to Leonardo. This is the result, Portrait Of A Woman (After A 16th Century Florentine Drawing).


A dreamy and very different work by Degas is this oil painting, done sometime between 1879-84. At The Cafe-Concert shows a woman sitting comfortably in evening attire.

40 comments:

  1. I think my favorite remains the sculpture ...
    Fate And Love ... And I also like greek mythology! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing collection of work by old masters. I think I like the 1870's picnic painting best - only because I find the clothes style chosen for a picnic and 'picnic behaviour' add extra interest to the painting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ads pinturas são fantásticas, aproveito para desejar a continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful selection of old masters William, they are incredibly beautiful. I do have a soft spot for the work of Degas ✨

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are producing a veritable on line gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful look at the sculpture 'Dancer'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, beautiful paintings and exhibit. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tom: that it is.

    @Joan: it's a good one.

    @Ella: so do I.

    @Gemma: they do!

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Grace: he was quite an artist.

    @David: so it seems!

    @Anvilcloud: that they are.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Eileen: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello William!
    Great collection of paintings and interesting exhibition!
    Like the bronze sculpture! Have a happy Wednesday!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great collection - DeGas and Constable and Dore...and all works I've never seen before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great art collection and great place to spend some time in winter ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that one of the Salisbury Cathedral and I recognize Degas' style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Dimi: thank you!

    @Barbara: you're welcome.

    @RedPat: so do I.

    @Carol: that it is.

    @Sharon: they're good works.

    @Red: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful collection. The last one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's nice that the corridors are quite wide so it can handle people well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are the type of paintings I adore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your choice of paintings. I never would have guessed 'Portrait of a woman'was by Degas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Tissot painting reminds me of Renoir and Manet. I love their work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marvelous paintings! I also noticed those two colors they chose for their walls, love the dark red one especially. So yes I love the magnificent paintings but I apparently notice the 'art' in coloring a wall :) Great photos William, and thanks always for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely collection. My favorite is the At The Cafe-Concert painting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to say I agree whole-heartily with Tom's first comment.

    What a fabulous gallery... it is :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Lois: thanks!

    @Jeanie: that is true.

    @Janey: me too.

    @Fun60: he did keep to the style of the original artist. I'd like to see the original.

    @Iris: indeed!

    @Catalyst: so do I.

    @Denise: you're welcome.

    @Bill: it's such a good one.

    @Cloudia: you're welcome.

    @Jan: it is indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like these painting. We all know what happens to all of us with LOVE!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the way you portrayed this journey of paintings. Made me feel as if I stepped along side of you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. eating by water is always fun. unless u have crocs or such?? great art. fun times. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have so much wonderful art there!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love Seduces Innocence, Pleasure Entraps, And Remorse Follows...What a title!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I see that hall and I still want to run down it with my socks on ....

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the style. The picnic was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like the painting of Salisbury cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @MB: indeed.

    @Eve: thanks!

    @Beth: no we don't.

    @Tanya: we have a lot.

    @Kay: that it is!

    @Whisk: the security guards wouldn't like that!

    @Lady Fi: he was quite an artist.

    @Revrunner: I can see why.

    @Jennifer: I agree.

    @Klara: I do too.

    ReplyDelete