Thursday, January 17, 2019

Interiors And Exteriors

Laurentian Splendour is the title of this 1880 oil on canvas painting by John A. Fraser, capturing a landscape view in the Laurentian Mountains of Quebec.


Allan Edson painted this oil painting, Landscape With Cascade, in 1872.


One of the visual treats in this part of the National Gallery is the Croscop Room. Set in a side gallery, this is a transplanted front parlour from the Croscop home in Nova Scotia, one that you walk into. It was done around 1845 by an unknown artist. The wall paintings give the impression of a larger world being looked out on as if the walls are windows.


Waterfall is the title of this 1866 oil painting by O.R. Jacobi.


Close by is the other interior courtyard, which has a reflecting pool at its heart.


Back in the gallery spaces, the First Nations presence throughout the Canadian collection returns again with this display case of Haida artifacts. The chief's robe is used on occasion; the last time I visited, the robe was out for a ceremony.


This 1879 oil painting has drawn my eye before. The Croppy Boy (The Confession Of An Irish Patriot) is by Charlotte Schreiber. The work is inspired by an Irish ballad of a patriot who confesses his sins before battle- only the priest isn't a priest, it's a British officer in disguise. While the subject matter is British and of the Irish question, the artist herself was English-Canadian, in fact the first woman artist elected to the Royal Canadian Academy of Art. This was her diploma painting that got her accepted.


Here we have a wider gallery view. More First Nations items in the display case mingle with the conventional styles of art; in this particular area the emphasis is on Canadian artists who spent time abroad and came back with new ideas.


One of those artists was Maurice Cullen. He spent time in France where he studied Impressionism and en plein air techniques. Coming home, he applied Impressionism to Canadian subjects. The Ice Harvest is a circa 1913 oil painting in an Impressionist style, depicting the vital ice industry of the time in vibrant light.

40 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome museum. Love the painted walls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Croscop Room, well, I wouldn´t want to live in it, but it is beautiful.
    As is the courtyard, that I would like to have here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought that if I ever designed my own home I would build it in a square and have an open courtyard garden in the middle along with a 'reflective pool'.
    I particularly like the painting of the 'ice harvest' - you can see the influence of the French impressionists in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gallery has so many beautiful spaces. Love the worlds beyond worlds on the walls and the first 2 landscape paintings are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice collection of paintings and artifacts and not to forget the reflecting pool as resting point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello William!
    Very impressive museum!
    Like the wall paintings and the reflecting pool!!! So beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing! Enjoy your day!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...a wonderful place for a cold winter's day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great series on the art of the National Gallery. It reinforces the fact that I shoukd make a visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice collection of paintings. I like the reflective pool area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful paintings, but the reflecting pool is my favourite.
    I'd like to sit there for a while after a walk around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This gallery is very beautiful. Love the paintings, they are stunning.
    My laptop is working again ... yuppie! :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting to see the ice harvest! The waterfront here had such a business about the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh cool, really nice murals ... wonder how many folks try to open the door? i have seen silly crazier things!! lol!!
    ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Whisk: it is.

    @Linda: it is quite a museum.

    @Iris: as a parlour, this space might have had two or three comfortable chairs, a table. I can envision how it would have looked back then.

    @Rosemary: you certainly can.

    @Gemma: it's a grand place to visit.

    @SC: indeed.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Dimi: you're welcome.

    @Tom: it certainly is.

    @David: you should.

    @Nancy: so do i.

    @Jan: it's a good spot for that.

    @Ella: thank you!

    @Marie: it was common in Canada.

    @Beth: it wouldn't surprise me, though I don't see a handle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The courtyard area with its reflecting pool is wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't remember the Croscop Room. It is either newish or I am forgetful. I know which I am betting on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful paintings here and last post William. The Croscop Room is fabulous ✨

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful art there, William. I like the transplanted parlour!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing works of art ~ favorite is the mural ~ exquisite ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those wall paintings. If I were there, you might catch me sitting in that courtyard by the fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful paintings. the ones of cascading water appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have a tremendous amount of art. I remember not having enough time to tour this gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are such beautiful landscapes, and the Confessions of the Irish Man painting is great in story telling (which I'm glad you explained since I woudn't have figured it out on my own!) So glad it got the woman artist acclaim!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Rosie: I think so too.

    @Anvilcloud: as it is in a side gallery off the main path, it is quite easy to miss it. It's been there for years, but I don't always step into that side gallery when I visit.

    @Grace: thank you!

    @RedPat: so do I.

    @Carol: thanks!

    @Sharon: it's a good spot to stop at.

    @Janey: me too.

    @Red: it's a wonderful collection.

    @Barbara: it is fine storytelling indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely paintings and the refective pool is beautiful . Plenty of art to enjoy, a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So much to see.
    Such lovely paintings, and I liked the painted walls too, and then there was the reflecting pool … all so good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. The third picture is pretty cool.
    Lots of great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful paintings. I love the paintings on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful museum. I especially love the murals.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Bill: that it is.

    @Jan: thank you!

    @Happyone: thanks!

    @Tamago: so do I.

    @Jeanie: I do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The reflecting pool is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the reflecting pool. And that woman's diploma painting should have gotten her admitted anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The reflecting pool is a real star of your post, though the Coscop Room is pretty interesting.
    Lots to like here.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Another cool idea with the pool.

    ReplyDelete