Friday, February 1, 2019

City Daily Photo Theme Day: White

The first day of each month is a theme day for members of City Daily Photo, and for February, that theme is White. You can see how others are interpreting this theme here.

For myself, the theme means the best weather you can have- the snow of winter. And so that's my take on this theme. I start off with this view of Centre Block on Parliament Hill taken on a sunny day in January, with snow covering the lawn on other side of the approach.


My walk from here took me west to my next destination, where I found a snowman out on the snowy lawn.


That destination was the Supreme Court of Canada, an Art Deco masterpiece that stands to the west of the Parliamentary precinct.


The only other added item on the front lawn of the Court is a statue, looking quite chilly in the snow. This is a statue of Louis St. Laurent, Prime Minister from 1948-57. His placement here is deliberate- he was a lawyer for much of his career, and had he not gone into politics first as Justice Minister to Mackenzie King, he might well have ended up a Justice in the Supreme Court.


Beyond the Court, my path took me towards the Portage Bridge for another in my occasional posts of the view of the Ottawa River from there, which will be coming in March. Before I got there, I took this view of Richmond Landing, which ascends up from the Ottawa River, seen along with the city of Gatineau on the far shore.


Carrying along with my walk, I took in this view of Victoria Island, one of the islands that occupies this stretch of the Ottawa River between the two cities.


Coming back, I photographed this view of the snow and shadow, drawn to the textures of newly fallen snow.


On another day, I photographed this view in the Glebe. Central Park is near the north end of the neighbourhood, and popular with dog walkers. This view looks west from Bank Street. I will be featuring this park in a comparative winter to spring post sometime in April.


We've had a lot of snow here thus far this winter. Here we have some snowy streets during snowfalls. These spots are all downtown, taken on two different days. The first pair were on one day.


Some days later I took these two shots, a few metres away from each other.


I'm ending with a different kind of white- albeit one surrounded by snow regardless. This is the poster for a theatrical production currently underway at the National Arts Centre. It features a bride all dressed in white as the focus of the poster. 

44 comments:

  1. Nice selection of snowy scene. As always, my favourite is the 1st picture. I also like the snowman and oh my goodness, the cars are all covered with snow! There is so much snow everywhere. Keep warm and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...William, white sure was an easy one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Love the shadow shot and of course, the snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice white themed photos William. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots, William, nrs. 7 and 12 are my favourites.
    In the Netherlands it's not half as cold as in Ottawa, but I'm glad we have had some snow again last week and today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with the Snowman! :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, with a blue sky and sunshine I nearly like snow if it wasn't so cold ! Beautiful pictures ! Should also make a snow man ! But we don't have enough snow !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Theme day snuck up on me and I missed it. This is a great post for WHITE. I'm guessing snow will be pretty popular with the CDP community.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snow looks very good for photos. Here it melts very soon after fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, great photos for the theme. I like the snowman! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been very much looking forward to your winter scenes William, couldn't be more perfect for the theme ⛄

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's plenty of white this month after setting a snowfall record.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Nancy: we've had quite a snowy winter thus far.

    @Tom: this one was easy. I've had a look at future themes, and some of them might pose a challenge!

    @Lady Fi: thank you!

    @Linda: I wonder who made him.

    @Sami: thanks!

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Jan: today continues to be cold.

    @Ella: it's cute, isn't it?

    @Gattina: a shortage of snow isn't an issue here.

    @Revrunner: we're in the polar vortex too.

    @Janis: I expect so!

    @Rosie: thank you!

    @Marianne: here it stays.

    @Eileen: I figured people would go for the snowman.

    @Grace: and I enjoy showing off the winter.

    @Anvilcloud: yes, we've had a great deal of the white stuff falling in the city all of last month. And it can easily go on two more months, regardless of what the cranky prognosticating rodent says tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi William...beautiful snow scenes. I'm excited to hear you're already working towards March and even April. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This month's theme was easy, William!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice white pictures. I especially like the shadows on the snow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely wintry scenes from your delightful Canada ~

    Happy Friday to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've got lots of white stuff in your city. Love that snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll say you've had a lot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Down here in Austin, Texas I had to think a bit harder about the theme of 'white!'

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of white in your neck of the woods!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Barbara: it's a colourful year, according to the theme day calendar!

    @Catarina: yes it was.

    @DJan: so did I.

    @Carol: thanks!

    @Sharon: that we do.

    @Red: we have indeed.

    @LB: I'll check out your take on the theme!

    @Susie: yes, we've got no shortage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you have quite a lot of snow…
    The snowman is warmly welcoming all with open arms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is definitely a white world around here now! Good post for the theme, William.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A beautiful snowy walk. Like the snowman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That theme was an easy one for you. :) Wonderful snowy white winterish photos, William.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The fence shadow is a unique shot.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Italiafinlandia: we've had a record amount of snow for January.

    @RedPat: thank you.

    @Happyone: so do I.

    @Bill: this was very easy!

    @Marie: I saw it and thought it would suit things.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Like the photo of the shadow on the snow. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love the snow person ... so cool!! looks so so cold. stay warm. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  31. So many wonderful photos for theme day! I like the snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The snowbound island looks very pretty and those streets look as if they may be a little difficult to navigate. Great care needed. And the poster definitely looks as if it's advertising the impulse moments of a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I know this is your happy season so I'm not surprised to see a lot of white here. I especially like those shadow patterns on the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  34. my favorite is the striking shadow photo.
    Amazing building in the top photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great photos for the theme, William !
    Love especially the snowman and the shadow photo.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love seeing a snowman just "out there." And the shadow -- lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It wouldn't be easy theme for me... We had only a little bit of snow today :-(

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Fun60: thank you!

    @Beth: thanks!

    @Lois: I did too.

    @Gemma: I should have gone to see that show.

    @Kay: I do love the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  39. @Maywyn: I certainly thought so.

    @Tammie: thanks!

    @Karl: thank you.

    @Jeanie: I wonder if the Court justices noticed the little snowman.

    @Klara: here we have had quite a bit of snow over the winter.

    ReplyDelete