Friday, February 8, 2019

International Currencies

Starting off today, we have some various currencies from Africa, which includes money from St. Helena at lower right. The island is remote and off the African coast in the south Atlantic, and still a British possession. Napoleon died there in 1821 still in exile.


Here are Asian currencies.


Australia, New Zealand, and the islands of the Pacific also are featured with currency ranging from older to newer.


Edmund Hillary on the New Zealand five dollar note caught my eye, so I looked it up on the display screen too.


A commemorative Australian five dollar note is here. Henry Parkes, the Father of Federation as an Australian premier, is featured on this side, while the note can be seen in the display case, featuring politician and suffragist Catherine Helen Spence on the reverse side.


And then there are even older currencies. These coins are in a display case nearby. The Roman bronze one caught my eye, so I looked up additional information on the display screen.


Older international notes are displayed close by. The details in the mid-19th century American note's profile caught my eye. It bears a portrait of Salmon P. Chase, Secretary of the Treasury, and dates to 1862. 


This device is geared a bit more towards kids- adjusting the levers to get the flow of money going from a central bank to a business in need of loans.


A timeline of the Canadian economy is presented along this wall- moving oddly right to left instead of left to right as the Western mind is more used to. It includes banknotes of early eras, issued by the banks themselves in the time before federal money printing. These were valid as long the bank itself didn't fail. Incidentally banks have a way of failing, in case you slept through 2008. I'll conclude this series tomorrow.

32 comments:

  1. ...$$$$$, it's hard to live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see Aussie currency getting a look in. They seem to change the banknotes quite often these days to keep ahead of the counterfeiters. I think the ancient coins would interest me most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see all those coins and currencies.
    Money does not make people happy, health is much more important, but it is very easy to have some (extra) money at your disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat photos. Every young person should visit there, more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Algumas notas são autenticas obras de arte, aproveito para desejar um bom fim-de-semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I learned that Australia makes about 121 different currencies for different countries. Does Canada make currency, too?

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, it is a cool exhibit of the world currency. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tom: true!

    @Lady Fi: it's quite a museum.

    @Italiafinlandia: he was quite a man.

    @Joan: I like getting a look at the old coins.

    @Jan: that is true.

    @Maywyn: I found it interesting that they have enough in the way of activities to keep kids engaged.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Janis: yes, Canada has made currencies for other countries, certainly in the past and probably in the present.

    @Beth: money, money, money, money, money!

    @Anvilcloud: it's quite something to visit.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Money, money, money ~ 'makes the world go round' ~ neat photos ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have quite a collection on display. Pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We tend to think inwardly and only consider our own currency. Looking at other currencies can be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cool place with all of these great displays, William!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful place with some great displays. Makes me think of Pink Floyd's song Money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Carol: that it does.

    @Sharon: it's quite a well put together collection.

    @Red: I agree.

    @RedPat: true!

    @Bill: that one I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder how long we will continue to use coins and bills.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always fascinating to me to see the different currencies around the world. Thanks for sharing these William.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These type of historical displays would keep me there until closing. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting seeing all the different currencies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. To be honest.... I like the kid's display best :-)
    But it's all interesting, I don't even know if we have something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I go for days now without transacting with currency. I wonder if currency is headed toward obsolescence.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fascinating displays, older notes and coins are far more interesting than our present ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. St. Helena had their own money, not British? I suppose it was owned by the French then. I should look it up. I should know this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That right to left is interesting.
    I had a bunch of coins in my dad's estate. I gave them to my good son. The other one isn't speaking to me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I missed this one earlier. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @David: hopefully for awhile.

    @Denise: you're welcome.

    @Marie: that they are.

    @Eve: thank you!

    @Happyone: indeed.

    @Cloudia: definitely.

    @Iris: it's a good concept for a museum.

    @Kay: I use cash nearly all the time.

    @Rosie: I think so too.

    @Sandi: small territories can do that.

    @Jennifer: thank you.

    @Jeanie: thanks!

    @Klara: true!

    ReplyDelete