Monday, June 17, 2019

The Cosplayers

"You don't know the power of the collectibles side. It is useless to resist." ~ Darth Vader, Star Wars Episode V and a Half: The Fans Strike Back

Back in May, I attended the Ottawa Comiccon, an annual event down at the EY Centre near the airport. It's a big event as Ottawa events go, though not like it is at the big San Diego event each year. And it was busy. There were plenty of cosplayers around. I could have gone as Lex Luthor. Perhaps next year.


Some people attend to see various celebrities who come for the event. Others come as cosplayers. I came to photograph cosplayers, buy some shirts, and pick up some art along the way. I did pick up some poster art from an indie illustrator pair, as well as two well established artists in the industry, Mike Zeck and Geof Isherwood. I thanked Mr. Zeck for his work in what I still consider to be the best comic book story I've ever read, a Spider-Man story titled Kraven's Last Hunt. I bought four shirts from one vendor (and got two mystery freebies in the bargain, fortunately neither of them featuring Wolverine, or as I call him the Drunken Hobbit), and two from another that I'll show tomorrow. And I bought one more item of merchandise that appears at the end of this post. Here we have a wide view of one of the corridors. The building is a large one, and probably more convenient for load-in and out than the convention centre downtown.


I know these are Dr. Who related items, but admittedly I've never seen more than a few minutes worth of the show, enough to convince me that you'd need a big bag of weed to figure out that convoluted mess. Fans of The Doctor may strangle me at their leisure.


The Canadian War Museum had a presence this year, as they had last year. The temporary exhibit Highland Warriors is on now at the museum. I'll stop by on Canada Day.


Thor's Trinkets is the name of an independent artisan shop in Brockville, Ontario. I chatted with the artist and bought one of these beer mugs- the empty space in the first shot is the one I bought. I've seen her work before at the farmer's market here- a teddy bear outfitted in Thor chainmail armour, complete with hammer.


Here's mine at home. Of course when I saw the Ministry of Silly Walks, I had to pick it up. For those of you in the UK, there'll be a Monty Python retrospective on British television in the fall. It'll apparently include a shot or two of a Silly Walks sign that was here in Ottawa that I took for the blog. I have more from here tomorrow.

40 comments:

  1. This is something I do not understand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "empty space" sure made me smile big, good move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ministry of Silly Walks still exists and is presently trying to make an ungainly exit from the European Union.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the same case as italianfinlandia, I don't understand !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fan "Star Wars" and also Dr. Who ... I love Science Fiction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...what an interesting fantasy world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah.... love the Monty Python stuff. Super comment above from Stargoose etc.
    And I would like to have my own pet Dalek.
    This would be an interesting event to attend but really, I'm not into collectibles. Or dressing up. But I'd love an Imperial Coffee mug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel a great affinity with these people. My People! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,

    Looks like a fun time. For some reason the Comiccon reminds me of the Big Bang show. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've relatives who really enjoy these gatherings. I may enjoy Sci-Fi, but don't feel drawn to Comiccons...not into crowds so much. Though it is fun to be reminded of the times of yore when I did watch one series or another, and then somehow they dropped out of my interest, or maybe just time availability. So I have spotty connections, some I can do a "ah ha" for and some I'm left scratching my head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Comicon is one of Aimee's favourite events William.. looks like fun.. btw I'm a long time Dr Who fan but don't worry there are no thoughts of strangulation 😉

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never been anywhere like this, so it will be interesting to see your pictures. I had to look up the word "cosplay" but now I know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The detail in costumes is amazing, some serious participants!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Dr Who but won't hold it against you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For fans this is fantastic! I have three friends who are brothers and they get together for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good choice for the glass. The Ministry of Silly Walks is one of my favorite sketches of Monty Pyton.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds to me like you had a good time visiting this event. I have a photo of me posing with the tardis in the lobby of the BBC in London. I love Dr. Who!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Italiafinlandia: I get a kick out of an event like this.

    @Iris: it was the ideal choice.

    @John: to say that's silly is an understatement.

    @Gattina: I get it quite well.

    @Ella: I definitely go for Star Wars.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @David: yes, and I'm one of them! :)

    @Tom: that it is.

    @Shammickite: I had a blast.

    @Sandi: mine too.

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Anvilcloud: it was.

    @Barbara: I'm more one for the comics side of things.

    @Grace: thank you!

    @DJan: if you ever get a chance you should attend one of these.

    @Laurie: some people take this very seriously!

    @RedPat: I just don't get it!

    @Janey: that it is.

    @Red: I don't know if other members of my family would do so.

    @Jan: it's a great sketch.

    @Sharon: I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It must be such a fun event for the fans! Many of these costumes are really well made!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an interesting place to visit. Thanks for taking me along!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I drove daughter to a few of these events I helped make one costume and she made several others. But this was many many many years ago when she was still in High School. She went as Nausicaa. It was so much fun and she looked fabulous. Now the costumes are so much more high tech.
    Great photos and like your wonderful mug.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  22. Schöne Bilder von der Veranstaltung die Besucher in den Kostümen sind klasse.

    Noke

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like a fun event for those who like it. Definitely a lot of photo opps.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fun event for photographing. There is even a Dutch version!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Tamago: I agree.

    @Marie: you're welcome.

    @Parsnip: some of the costumes must be customized.

    @Noke: thank you.

    @Bill: it was fun.

    @Marleen: that doesn't surprise me.

    @Cloudia: I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks like fun, I saw the Daleks at an exhibition when I was a kid

    ReplyDelete
  27. It all seems like great fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. it is time for a top of the blog picture change. love that!! i wonder what a gathering like this would be like .. and i bet it would be fun ... i enjoy Star Wars. over Star Trek. enjoy the costumes or should i say something else? i wonder if that is right, i bet some might want another word? ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE the Ministry of Silly Walks! As well as anything done by the Python.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I applaud your mug purchase.
    This event would be fun to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Must be a fun event to attend. Love the mugs and would love to pick up one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Events like these are very popular … a nice collection of photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  33. My son went as Luke Skywalker to Comicon....he would have fit right in here!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'd love to go to Comicon some day.

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Billy: quite a memory!

    @Michelle: I enjoy it.

    @Beth: I prefer Star Wars, but get Star Trek too.

    @Catalyst: now I have several more items from Thor's Trinkets, as the vendor was present at the Christmas market last year.

    @Kay: I had a blast doing so.

    @Nancy: it was a lot of fun.

    @Jan: very much so.

    @Jenn: no doubt!

    @Klara: I have to go back this year, as it's held in September.

    ReplyDelete