Monday, September 28, 2020

A Finale To The Gallery

When one exits the world art area (depending on the path one takes), there is a gallery space often used for smaller temporary exhibits. Beautiful Monsters is the present case, with this exhibit extended into mid-November. Consisting primarily of prints and drawings from Europe depicting mythical and legendary stories, the exhibit includes this silver and gilded bronze sculpture. Attributed to "master of the bull hunt", after Lorenzo Vaccaro, it dates to around 1700 and is titled St. George And The Dragon.


The staircase heading down includes this limestone sculpture by Aristide Maillol. Young Woman Bathing was carved between 1919-21.


A look back up the stairs takes in the glass tower, with the sculpture Tepkik by First Nations artist Jordan Bennett visible. I hope you've enjoyed this visit to the National Gallery of Canada. I expect I'll be back in again sometime soon.

30 comments:

  1. I like the "St. George And The Dragon", a great little sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...classic styled sculptures! Where are we going next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Beautiful sculptures! Take care, enjoy your day! I wish you a happy new week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Iris: indeed.

    @Karl: so do I.

    @Tom: another museum!

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Francisco: thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sculpture is amazing.
    Thanks for telling us about the theme day coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I look forward to another trip to the gallery. I definitely have some favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful art work!I love this.Thanx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. St George and the dragon is quite big.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @DJan: thank you!

    @Maywyn: a pleasure to do so.

    @RedPat: you're welcome.

    @Red: I love coming here.

    @Anita: thank you.

    @Kate: indeed.

    @Marie: relatively!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sculpture "St George and the dragon" is beautiful.
    Thanks for the museum tour, I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome autumn photo header ~ ^_^

    Live each moment with love,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great visit it has been William, George and the dragon is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You could spend an afternoon taking in St. George.

    ReplyDelete
  15. St. George is pretty cute but I rather like the great Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did enjoy the visit William, very much ✨

    ReplyDelete
  17. The St George sculpture is spectacular. The detailing is amazing. By the way, your new header photo is stunningly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Bill: you're welcome.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Gemel: I thought so.

    @Joanne: one could!

    @Jennifer: thanks!

    @Magiceye: thank you.

    @Parsnip: it's quite a story.

    @Grace: a pleasure to show it.

    @Susie: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like the silver and gilded bronze sculpture, 'St. George And The Dragon', it looks very nice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the title beautiful monsters. That is very clever.

    ReplyDelete