Friday, November 2, 2018

Crazy Unicorns And Glowing Cubes

Today I have an odds and ends post. I was in the Sandy Hill area late one afternoon in September when I came across this house. It was the historical plaque out front that first caught my eye. Allan House was built in 1893 for businessman James Allan and has been designated a heritage property. It appears to continue to be a residence. Among those who have lived here is Cairine Wilson, the subject of the plaque. She was the first woman appointed to the Canadian Senate.


This sign was outside a pub in early October.


Later in the month it had a different remark.


This is the Thomas Flanagan Building, the central headquarters for the Ottawa Police Services, downtown on Elgin Street. It is named for a former police chief who served in that role from 1989-93. Policing runs in the family, though not all of them measure up to him. One son in particular, a former cop who I've heard works in customs down at the airport, seems to spend his free time writing letters to the editor for a local right wing rag of a newspaper four or five times a week, spouting his usual self righteous, sanctimonious, blowhard opinions. In the past, I've referred to that Flanagan as His Infernal Pompousness.


This cube stands outside the Rideau branch of the Ottawa Library. It is one of four such cubes, a collective art installation, along Rideau Street.


This storefront window is at the Rideau Centre mall, for a shop called Dream Weaver. It was the sign that caught my attention.


Here I have a view that won't possible for awhile before too long- the Peace Tower framed from within the main entrance at the East Block of Parliament Hill. Centre Block is due to be closed up for ongoing restoration work for some years when the fall session of Parliament comes to an end. The House of Commons will be moving into a space prepared in the West Block, while the Senate will occupy the Government Conference Centre. You can see scaffolding around part of the tower in this shot.


Two murals in the Glebe stand across the street from each other. This first one is a new one, painted on the wall of a jewel shop to replace one that had been there before.


The other one is on the side wall of a building that houses a small grocery shop and apartments upstairs, and is also new. Wild Read is the work of a collective group of street artists called Vertigo Graffiti. The group is from Columbia, having had already done large scale murals around the world, and the Columbian embassy arranged for them do this. It blends together the idea of biodiversity and the world of fantasy in reading, and is the first work of the group in Canada.


I finish with these three shots taken on an evening in October. I came up to Parliament Hill for a twilight view of the Ottawa River for my final post of 2018, and took some extras. I had a similar twilight shot of this statue earlier in the year. The grounds of Parliament Hill include a number of statues of political leaders. This one features Alexander Mackenzie, our second prime minister, dramatically backlit by the sky.


A nearby view of the river shows the Alexandra Bridge linking Ottawa to Gatineau on the other shore.


And this view across to Major's Hill Park includes the familiar landmarks of the National Gallery, Notre Dame, and the American embassy.

36 comments:

  1. The house in the first shot is where I would like to live. I also love the mural with the bison and the reader and the last 3-4 photos...so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this post very much today.
    Love the look of the Police Building kind of based on the "International" Style I like so much.
    Sending Japanese Son the Pub Signs. He used to work at an Irish Pub run by an English Man who lived in Australia before moving to
    Nishinomiya Japan like my Son.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schöne Bilder vom Abend und die Graffitis sind klasse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed at the auto-correct sign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top marks for this: "His Infernal Pompousness".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the house it's beautiful ! The signs are funny and the graffiti well done !

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous old home, i love the murals and the signs ... hilarious!! i always wonder how folks come up with those funnies. great times!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice view of your walk with a nice variety of subjects. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Lowell: it's a well kept up house.

    @Parsnip: it's an unusual style to me, but it fits a police headquarters. They have other detachments spread throughout the city, but this is their core.

    @Noke: thanks!

    @Joan: there are a few places along that street that tend to have funny chalkboard signs. I always keep an eye out.

    @Anvilcloud: I figured local readers might be familiar with who I was talking about! The Sun pretty much publishes letters from the same four people endlessly, but he's by far the most obnoxious of them. The guy's whole subtext is 'they should have made me police chief. Hell, they should have made me Emperor for Life.'

    @Gattina: thank you!

    @Beth: it's quite a sense of humour.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Tom: it is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful series. Love the Peace tower and the murals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very fun post. I especially enjoyed those two sayings that made me laugh. And your eclectic compilation of pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, wonderful series. I love the Allan House, it is beautiful. Love the murals and the window display and the signs are cute. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting mish-mash of photos---signs are funny
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the murals. I wish we had some in our small town. I think you should go back to the pub on a regular basis just to see the remarks on the billboard. Oh, and have a beer too! Some very intriguing pictures here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That mural that promotes reading is very clever & those 2 chalk signs made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any one of these pics could have made a fine post, William! A great assortment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Nancy: thank you.

    @DJan: thanks!

    @Eileen: it is quite an impressive house.

    @MB: they certainly are hilarious.

    @Shammickite: fortunately I pass by that way most days.

    @Sharon: they made me laugh!

    @RedPat: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a very witty sign writer there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent series of odds and ends William.. we should make that a meme, we all have those shots that just don't make it for a whole post 😊

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like that neat old house.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, that autocorrect-guy - I have a (German) book with hilarious examples and hubby asked twice if I cry cause I had to laugh so hard!
    Love those murals! Every Monday Sami features murals here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very nice variety of photos. I got a kick out of the auto correct sign. :) Nice post William.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely variety of photos and informative history post ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful and creative murals!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do enjoy these odds and ends posts, you never know what we may see :)
    I loved the variety of photographs, and thought the signs very funny.

    Enjoy the remainder of Friday and have a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. We could use someone like Cairine Wilson in the U.S. these days. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your mash-up here! And those collective art signs are the BEST -- especially the complex complex complex!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful shots and funny signs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Is there anything in your city that is not stunningly beautiful? How i'd love to visit someday. Both the blackboard signs made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Do you follow the person on Twitter who posts amazing murals?
    "His Infernal Pompousness." I don't get the paper anymore. It's just getting too small. I sure miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A variety of neat photos! Allan House is beautiful and those murals are eye catching as well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Why would anyone think the unicorn is crazy? I enlarged the photo and read the comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Fun60: indeed.

    @Grace: I like doing so every once in awhile.

    @Happyone: so do I.

    @Iris: autocorrect is a bane!

    @Bill: thank you!

    @Carol: thanks!

    @Jan: I enjoy putting them together.

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Kay: she must have been quite a lady.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Jeanie: they are good.

    @Lady Fi: I thought so!

    @Sallie: thanks!

    @Jennifer: this particular guy writes into the Sun. They tend to publish the same four people over and over again in terms of the letters to the editor, but this guy is the most obnoxious of them all, and routinely gets four letters a week, it seems.

    @Jenn: I agree!

    @Klara: thanks!

    ReplyDelete