Tuesday, July 23, 2019

New France

I will be catching up on blog reading in coming days, as I am away from the city at the present and coming back on Wednesday. Be patient with me!

The Post Contact Wars took place as New France was establishing itself in North America. First Nations peoples fought the French, other tribes, or both, jockeying for position. A cabinet was filled with weapons from all sides.


New France would emerge from it all, lasting until the conclusion of the French and Indian War, with populations of French immigrants making a new home in the New World. Artifacts and display panels here examine the story of New France in detail.


These are contemporary made items that you could pick up. The bright red fabric is a sash, often seen being worn by the French-Canadians called voyageurs, the fur traders who penetrated deep into the continent in search of resources. On top of it is an adze, in the Pacific Coast First Nations style, a precision tool used for carving.


The British had their own designs on the New World. They had already established colonies along the Atlantic coast, thirteen of which would throw a temper tantrum in the 1770s. Even before then, in the Maritimes, the stage was being set for a coming conflict between the two rival powers over Acadia. The French and Indian War would bring an end to New France. 


For today I leave off with this painting. Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia is a painting from the circle of Samuel Scott, dating to around 1751. The town and harbour changed hands between France and Britain on numerous occasions before the British took it for good in 1710. That didn't quite end things, as for decades to come the town was regularly dealing with First Nations or French attempts to take it back. 

28 comments:

  1. Interesting history, seen from a different point of view than what I was taught in Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that. It's a period in history that I've never really read up on though I have some vague idea as to what happened. Maybe I should learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At school I never heard anything of Canadian history. Quite a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again an interesting part of history...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited Annapolis Royal in Nova Scotia a few years ago, and was shocked at the treatment of the Arcadian people by the British. It was a shameful part of our history, an act of genocide, some were actually transported away as far as to the Falkland Islands, and many lost their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what our world would be like if we had never had wars?

    ReplyDelete
  7. curious if those chairs are comfy? i wonder??! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...the 'New World' had so many European countries wanting to set claim! I hope that you are enjoying your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Linda: it's a complicated era of history.

    @John: you're welcome.

    @Iris: we get a lot of it.

    @Italiafinlandia: that it is.

    @Rosemary: it was a dark part of our history.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Sandi: who knows?

    @Beth: I doubt it!

    @Tom: I'm having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a schoolboy in Montreal, I was conflicted when certain accounts were read to us. Do I cheer for the English because that is what I am or the French because I am a Quebecker?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the wooden baby bed! So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had seen the sash before but couldn’t place it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also wonder why I never knew anything about Canadian history until I started reading books about it. We humans sure have figured out numerous ways to create weapons, haven't we? And we are not stopping yet. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. very nice series of posts about Canadian history. I didn't know much about it. and the museum presents all kind of exhibits in an interesting way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks again for teaching us (lower 48ers) about the history of Canada...as others have said, we missed out on it in schools here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The population at this time was very small but they did a lot of fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful historical post and photos ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post, William. Lots of historical info, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love seeing the aniques! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Anvilcloud: quite a dilemma!

    @Aritha: it's a good one.

    @Marie: I'm familiar with them.

    @DJan: we tend to be largely ignored by our American cousins.

    @Klara: it does a good job of that.

    @Barbara: you're welcome.

    @Red: quite true.

    @Sharon: thanks!

    @Bill: you're welcome.

    @Mari: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think there is ever peace in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always enjoy your posts, and the history behind each exhibit. Thank you William :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. World history is filled with one conflict after another. Humans are a sorry lot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. William, I may be more behind that you are! Not to worry. Love today's visit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @RedPat: or rarely.

    @Denise: you're welcome.

    @Kay: unfortunately true.

    @Jennifer: indeed.

    @Jeanie: thanks.

    @Klara: thank you.

    ReplyDelete