Sunday, July 28, 2019

The Nation Progresses

The last section of the Canadian History Hall, which picks up the story from 1914 on and carries to the present day, is on the upper level here at the Museum of History. A long ramp winds up around the entrance hall. This space has a topographic map of the country laid out on the floor.


At this point in the day my camera was in need of a recharge, so I didn't take as many shots in this final section. I started with this crucifix, fashioned out of the ruins of a church at Passchendaele, France. That town was the site of a costly 1917 Canadian victory in the First World War.


Following the Second World War, Newfoundland entered Confederation as the tenth province, an endeavour led by the premier at the time, Joey Smallwood, who is deemed the last Father of Confederation. This rug hooking shows the island. 


Debates rose up in the late 1950s and early 1960s on the idea of a new flag or keeping the Red Ensign. Some of the designs are found in this section.


1967 was the centennial year of Canadian Confederation, and the occasion was marked in big ways and in personal ways. Displayed here in the museum is a personal centennial project by Marjorie Gehl, the daughter of a diplomat posted at the time in the United States.


Another centennial event was a voyageur canoe journey by ten teams across over five thousand kilometres from Rocky Mountain House in Alberta to Montreal that summer. This photograph shows the participants in training.


Expo 67 was held in Montreal, showcasing the country to the world. Among the structures erected for the event was the Indians Of Canada Pavilion. This is the original model for it.


I leave off for today with this stained glass window, one of a matching pair dating to 2012. Giniigaaniimenaaning (Looking Ahead) is the title of this, commissioned to recognize the survivors of the residential schools and their families- a dark mark on Canadian history in terms of our treatment of our First Nations peoples. Its twin was installed in Centre Block, though I imagine with the work presently underway has been removed for storage for the time being.

24 comments:

  1. The design of the Canadian flag is lovely - and self explanatory which is nice. I have provided an explanation of the imagery on the Australian Aboriginal flag in the comments of my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey is infamous in Newfoundland and Labrador.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was so much controversy over the adoption of the flag and groups that opposed it bitterly now embrace it as their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I believe that Canada's choice of its new flag was wonderful. What a beautiful symbol for your beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous stain glass. i didn't know about the flag options, that is cool 2 see. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that map on the floor. I'd enjoy looking at and walking across the whole country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Joan: thank you.

    @Marie: for good reason.

    @David: that's true.

    @Tom: that it is.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Beth: it is.

    @Sharon: I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful and beautiful exhibit. I love the dress and stained glass window. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to Expo 67...it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember the canoe race. There was lots of hype about it. I went to see them when they went through Saskatoon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Expo 67 will always be the big thing for me! We went as a whole class from school and had a ball for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Intriguing history post and photos ~ ^_^

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic exhibition. I went to Expo 67 when I was just starting high school, had lots of fun and fond memories. I wasn't aware of the flag choices you had back then. The stained glass window is beautiful. Great photos, William.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always liked the Canadian flag, so it was interesting to see how this design came about. And every North American country has a very despicable history of treatment of the indigenous peoples. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love floor maps. Interesting to see the development of your flag.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such interesting history---not learned in school I suppose, so thank you.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the map on the floor. Didn't know about the flag options and that was nice to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd love to see the floor map from above. And if I knew there was a previous Canadian flag, I've long since forgotten. I really like the maple leaf flag.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Eileen: thank you!

    @Barbara: my parents went as well.

    @Red: that was quite a journey to undertake.

    @Catarina: definitely!

    @RedPat: it must have been quite an experience.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Bill: thanks!

    @DJan: you're welcome.

    @Fun60: thank you.

    @MB: it depends on the school.

    @R: thank you.

    @Michelle: I like that map too.

    @Kay: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This hall looks beautifully designed and I love the diversity of the collections.

    ReplyDelete