Thursday, June 24, 2021

Landmarks

It was time for a summer theme to my header, and so yesterday I added in the one above, taken at Richmond Landing last summer, showing the Ottawa River upstream from Parliament Hill. 

Two more shots today from the Gatineau tulip bed I left off with yesterday. The Portage Bridge can be seen in the background as it heads back towards Ottawa.


Heading back across the river, I paused to photograph this bed of tulips.


I carried on heading for the downtown. My first stop was the nearby Garden of the Provinces and Territories, a park setting with gardens and water features on terraces. Tulips are planted here among the various plants, mostly white in this bed. The church in the background is Christ Church Cathedral.


Up on the terraced areas, the tulips this year were more colourful.


Across from the Garden and a neighbour to Christ Church is this church, St. Peter's Lutheran Church. That tree can always be counted on to be blooming during the Tulip Festival.


I headed across the street from the Garden, where the main quarters of Library and Archives Canada stands. There were tulips in the flower beds flanking the main entrance. This government organization is the general Canadian version of the Library of Congress, for my American readers. Tomorrow we look at some tulips to the east side of this building.

36 comments:

  1. You had colourful walks in that environment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second photo is spectacular! I am not normally a fan of cities, but Ottawa has won my heart with this tulip tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Love the variety of colorful tulips. The church and blossoming tree are beautiful.
    Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...this year's festival was beautiful. I look forward to seeing Ottawa in bloom in person again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. Miss the old banner!
    Ohh, but the purple tulips... Never seen those before, beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great new header! All that blue is nice to see after so much white this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @italiafinlandia: very colourful.

    @Gemel: I like living here.

    @Eileen: they are indeed.

    @Tom: still more to come.

    @Iris: it was time.

    @Marie: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your header. It seems to me that I have stood at that spot and gazed down the river,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of lovely perspectives here William, wonderful new summer header shot ✨

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ottawa certainly shows its tulips off to great effect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog header. Love those views with the tulips from your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must have the best shoes and the strongest legs! I admire that. Because your feet take you everywhere and I'm so glad you share it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great new header shot! I love your tulip shots taken at the bloom level. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @David: you probably have.

    @Grace: thank you.

    @John: we do.

    @Jan: thanks.

    @Magiceye: indeed.

    @RedPat: it seemed appropriate.

    @Nancy: thank you.

    @Jeanie: I walk a lot.

    @Sharon: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your header really has a summer feeling ! and such nice flowers everywhere !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the purple tulips, they're very pretty.
    Nice new header too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great header photo for the summer and awesome floral and landmark photos ~ Xo

    Living in the moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your header kinds of strikes me as Montreal on the rocks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to see that bright blue river water in your header! The tulip photos were joyful--I don't see many tulips here in Colorado as the deer eat them all or the squirrels dig up and eat the bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Red: it was time.

    @Gattina: thanks.

    @Bill: they are pretty.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Revrunner: I can see that.

    @Pat: critters will be critters.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The scenes you show, that we walk with you, have become old Friends season to season and most welcome ones, William

    ReplyDelete
  22. The purple tulips are my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos. I love it.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. William - generally, I can only take big cities in small doses. But I admire those cities that have worked diligently to combine green spaces with spectacular architecture. The best of both worlds. I enjoy your photos very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the layout of the city as it presently is can be credited to a civil servant decades ago who was forward thinking. Unfortunately the bulk of our present city council is inept and incompetent, and our mayor has been in office far too long.

      Delete
  25. i always feel like flowers don't last long enough ... i guess my indoor plants that i take out during the warm season are so happy. they are having a blast. i think it is the humidity ...something is a bit different this year. clueless as to what or why??! ( ;

    ReplyDelete