Saturday, July 29, 2017

The Boat, Critters, And Buskers

Outside the Museum, a boat can be found, permanently dry docked. The Missinaibi is a boat Canadians have all seen at one point or another. The Canadian one dollar bill that was replaced by the dollar coin featured a view from this shoreline out onto the Ottawa River below Parliament Hill, where the Missinaibi was among the logs of a spring log drive. That image was taken from a landscape photograph taken by Malak Karsh. His brother Yousuf Karsh, the portrait photographer, took a photograph of Queen Elizabeth that formed the basis of the other side of the bill. Today the boat can be explored by children, as was happening when I was here on Canada Day.


In one of the shelters on the grounds, there was a wildlife expert with two animals. One was down having a nap in an enclosure- a groundhog. After a few moments, he or she stirred. I'm used to groundhogs that look more tan than dark.


The other was in his hands- a garter snake. I can affirm that a snake is quite dry to the touch.


Heading off to go back across the river, I paused to photograph these two women, step dancing to fiddle music. The shirts and sashes are something that wouldn't be out of place on the voyageurs of a century or two ago. The yoga pants, on the other hand, would be rather odd among historic voyageurs, but they really danced well.

30 comments:

  1. garter snake, friend of my east coast, mid Atlantic childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really was something for everyone on Canada Day1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a three ring circus. Actually, more than three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I've never been a fan of snakes, but the dancers are a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable ground hog. I hope he gives us a longer summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cloudia: this one was quite calm.

    @Kay: definitely!

    @Stuart: indeed!

    @Tom: hah!

    @Maywyn: I think he was enjoying his nap.

    @Marianne: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me the groundhog will be more interesting than the snakes. Sorry, I do not like snakes. I would enjoy watching the female dancers. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I see the groundhog often in our yard. The snake is cool, I do not see them too much. Great captures.
    Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've shown some very colorful and lively step dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another fine and interesting day. Great photos1

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dancers are clearly enjoying themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those step dancers and getting a lot of exercise with their performance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The buskers look like they are working hard!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  14. Snakes...why'd it have to be snakes?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Nancy: I assumed there'd be people who were wary of the snake!

    @Eileen: I see them regularly as well.

    @Red: it was indeed.

    @Sussi: yes it was.

    @Bill: thank you!

    @Christine: they were.

    @Sharon: that's true!

    @Janis: I think so.

    @RedPat: they really stood out!

    @Norma: hah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice series, William! Although I am not exactly fond of snakes, I think I could handle the Garter Snake just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adding their own touch to the costume.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Garter snakes are wonderful. They eat slugs. The dancers looked like they were having a fine time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy dancers! I like Garter Snakes and why people thing snakes are slimy I do not know.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yoga pants!
    Love the snake, although it ought to be out in nature! Dorah brought one, that size, to the back deck one year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the ladies dancing look like they are having fun. love those outfits!! so cool!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have pictures of my mom playing with garter snakes as a child. Personally I share Indiana Jones's attitude toward snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cute snake, that's one I would like to feel too.
    I like those happy dancing ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Linda: I'm quite used to garter snakes.

    @Revrunner: definitely.

    @Mari: they're good for taking care of pests.

    @Jack: I've never minded snakes.

    @MB: it's a common misperception.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Jennifer: thanks!

    @Beth: it was fun.

    @Linda: I like snakes.

    @Jan: thank you.

    @Klara: I have on more than one occasion.

    ReplyDelete