Saturday, July 1, 2017

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Motion

This is the first of two posts I have today; the second one will go live at 6 AM my time, and is a celebration of Canada Day and our 150th anniversary of Confederation. I also have a post for the occasion over at my writer's blog.

The first day of each month is a theme day for those members of City Daily Photo, and for July, that theme is Motion. You can see how others are interpreting the theme here. 

I am going with a decidedly cold take on the theme, having had taken these shots during the winter (I can just imagine some winter hating people are going to have something to say about that). There is a skating rink outside City Hall that is open from December into March, thus providing an alternative to the skating surface of the Rideau Canal. These shots were taken at night during the Christmas holidays of 2016, while those that follow were taken in the daytime during the same period. Aside from City Hall itself, the provincial courthouse and the Cartier Square Drill Hall feature into the background of some of these shots.


Back in early March, there was an event here that I covered in detail called Crashed Ice (click the tag at the end of this post if you'd like to see more). A large skating track was erected down along the Rideau Canal at the base of Parliament Hill, and speed skaters went down the route in competition. I thought a couple of shots of skaters in a pure blur certainly fit this theme.

22 comments:

  1. Skating and Crashed Ice: good choices for today's theme! (No complaints about winter. Some days I'm not sure ours is even over yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Canada Day and Happy Anniversary! I love to watch people skating. Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't get me complaining about winter images William I love them and they are perfect for the theme, nice work! Happy Canada Day, enjoy the festivities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice play on the meme, William

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRRRR too cold for me! Mind you, I am still waiting for summer as I gave up on spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kay: they felt appropriate!

    @Nancy: thank you!

    @Grace: it'll be quite a day.

    @Cloudia: thank you!

    @Jackie: I love the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Canada Day!!! Ice skating is one of my favorite fun things to do. People only dilike winter when they are in it---lovely to look at though. Good choice
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. ice skating is fun to watch, I like your night shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Canada!
    I feel the chill in your motion photos. Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love all these night shots! great photos for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got lots of motion going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this series, William! Happy Canada day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Must have been great to have a place like this. Yes, I remember your winter images and all the ice sculptures.
    Happy Canada Day!
    Happy weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @MB: thank you!

    @Klara: I liked taking them!

    @Maywyn: the evening in March was brutally cold.

    @Tanya: it suited the theme!

    @Sharon: definitely.

    @Linda: I am enjoying the day!

    @Gunn: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These folks had to stay in motion just to keep from freezing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's indeed a lot of motion in these shots.
    I am not a winter hater, but for the time being I love summer ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ice! I'd forgotten all about it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm enjoying my desert summer. The shots do convey motion.

    ReplyDelete