Friday, July 7, 2017

A New Use For The Sanctuary

Picking up where I left off yesterday, when I left Laurier House for Doors Open, I crossed the street and went here. The parish of All Saints Anglican Church chose some years back to join another parish in the city, and an initiative was undertaken to save the building itself and turn it into a multipurpose facility. It was a project led by Leanne Moussa, a local resident I spoke with at a Civic Holiday event a couple of years ago. That process is now largely complete, and the result is allsaints (the lowercase letters and no space is as the place bills itself as, so I'm going with it). It hosts weddings, receptions, music, and other events, and serves in other capacities, such as an art studio or for education.


A good deal of the church decor is still there, such as memorial plaques or stained glass windows. Restoration work was undertaken inside and out.


The sanctuary itself was set up to show what a reception in here might be like.


There are several stained glass windows in the sanctuary. This first one is dedicated to Robert Borden, our Prime Minister during the First World War. Borden worshiped in this church when he was in Ottawa. I will show you more from allsaints tomorrow.

31 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. My nephew got married in a place like this; a church that had been deconsecrated and turned into a reception hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place, and the windows only make it moreso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stained glass windows. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ambiance and the stained glass windows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stain glass - steals the show! lovely colors. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...how lovely to retain the beauty of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Linda: it would be ideal.

    @Kay: definitely!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Marianne: so do I.

    @Nancy: thank you.

    @Marleen: it really is.

    @Linda: me too.

    @Beth: it does!

    @Tom: true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is encouraging to see how much thought was put into this beautiful structure and its continued use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Sanctuary Hall looks amazing William, what an amazing place to have a reception . Can you imagine the photos with the stained glass windows as a backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, pretty church! I love all the stained glass windows. Both inside and out are lovely, great tour. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that shot of the interior, William!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful stained glass windows, William.
    I like also your new header photo very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Kate: it was a worthwhile initiative.

    @Grace: it is quite a place. I was pleased to see what's been done.

    @Eileen: thank you!

    @RedPat: so do I.

    @Karl: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It would be a great loss if they took this building down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have a church that looks just like this downtown....but wow....the inside of this one is gorgeous! Have a great weekend William!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful church inside and out. Those stained glass windows are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful. I love the stained glass. Do people still worship here? I would. It's so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Red: it would have been.

    @Tanya: this was worth saving.

    @Denise: they really are.

    @Sharon: I agree!

    @Bill: definitely!

    @Eve: I'm not sure. It's possible it's used for smaller community churches, otherwise you'd still see it used for wedding services.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reminds me of the church-turned-pub where I ate in Ireland. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is difficult for me to accept that church services are no longer held in such a beautiful setting. It is something I haven't even resolved when it comes to the church where my father, uncles, aunts, my brothers, and i were baptized and confirmed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful building, the stained glass windows are great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stained glass windows are so beautiful! 4th photo is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You wonder how long this will last...

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Revrunner: an unusual conversion.

    @Mari: and yet it happens. At least this is a good use of the building.

    @Maywyn: thank you.

    @Jan: they are.

    @Klara: thanks!

    @Jennifer: hopefully a long time.

    @Norma: that it is.

    ReplyDelete