Wednesday, June 1, 2016

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Shadow And Highlight

The first day of each month is a theme day for members of City Daily Photo, and for June, the theme is Shadow And Highlight, which comes from Robert Crowe at St. Louis Daily Photo, the first photo blog I ever followed. Have a look over at his page, and check out how other bloggers are taking on this theme here.

I went with several shots. This first one is back from late April or early May, a sunrise shot, probably the last before late in the year, since the sun is up way too early now. I'm looking west here at the campus of Carleton University. While much is still in shadow, the dawn is lighting up Dunton Tower, the highest building on campus.


Early morning light also plays into this shot, taken at Dundonald Park, where this former Orthodox church is backlit by the rising sun. The building has been converted into residences.


I like how morning light lit up this mural, outside a small downtown grocer, casting the shadow of a utility pole onto the surface.


I also liked the interplay of shadow and light on these scilla in Central Park in the Glebe. These tiny blue blooms last just a few days, showing up in late April.


I am in the midst of a series on the Canadian Tulip Festival. This is a case of tulips having been transplanted. Also in Central Park, this pair are planted among the treeline, cast largely in shadow. I imagine it's possible they were dug up and replanted by a devious squirrel or two.


I was heading to Dow's Lake to photograph tulip beds there one afternoon when the garden outside this home caught my eye. The late afternoon sun was shining directly on the tulips, while the house itself was starting to fall into shadow.


A shadow of another kind, this from the overhanging tree, shelters these deep purple tulips, with just hints of sunlight reaching them at this time of day, outside a home downtown.


And I finish where I started, at Carleton University. I was leaving one evening in early May, and took a number of shots of the late day sun. This shot, with the sun broken up by the tree, seemed to fit the theme.

42 comments:

  1. The last tulips are wonderful color, almost black.
    Nice shadow series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea going with a series of images. I do like the last two.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last picture is marvelous!

    Tomás.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice series again, William, specially the first and the last are wonderful for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy we got our money's worth today. All are very fine shots on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scilla just kind of jump out and say, "Look at me, too."
    Good series for today's theme!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  7. All excellent, but the last one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was really beginning to wonder ... what we would do when we arrive to Ottawa Daily Photos and not see our fave bloom ... the tulip ... you saved us in the last few shots. love the twilight views. i just typed a bunch of words and had to rewrite it again. it is time for some coffee. wow wee. have a happy day! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! I really like the photos of mural and deep purple tulips. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The morning light on the mural is my favourite, a promise of a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you've got lots of variations on the theme. And we had somewhat the same idea of natural light and shadow on some of those shots. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful series of shadow and light images William, so perfect for the theme day, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Linda: thanks!

    @Orvokki: some tulips can be quite dark.

    @MB: I do as well.

    @Tomas: thanks!

    @Jan: I agree.

    @Marianne: thanks!

    @Stuart: thank you.

    @Janis: thanks!

    @Norma: it was good timing.

    @Beth: there are more tulips to come.

    @Tamago: thanks!

    @Jackie: the mural appeals to me.

    @Lowell: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice series William! I too like that last photo the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those tall red tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a very good eye for shadow and light.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice examples of our theme. I wonder what it's like to live in that former Orthodox church.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Grace: thank you!

    @Bill: that does seem popular.

    @Sharon: I was happy to see them in that light.

    @Red: thanks!

    @Dina: it's a building that always appeals to me, and I pass by it on a fairly regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wonderful photos william but the first with the church lit up is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun exploration of the meme, William!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great shadow-y finds. And glad you could still get some tulips in!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know why, but the second shot is my preferred, William !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting variations on this month's scene, all beautifully captured!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A good assortment for the theme, William!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like that last shot!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Tanya: thanks!

    @Cloudia: thank you.

    @Halcyon: I couldn't resist adding in tulips.

    @Karl: thanks. That does seem popular.

    @Merisi: thank you!

    @RedPat: I enjoyed this theme.

    @Marleen: as did I.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The tulips around here are mostly a distant memory. Like those deep purple ones.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are wonderful photos, the lighting on all of them is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The deep purple tulips are amazing. The second picture from the top has a brooding quality to it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great images for this theme, I particularly like the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I especially like your last shot with the slant of sunlight. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely photos, as always! Yay, Ottawa!

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Revrunner: here the heat finished them off. Crews are working on removing the bulbs at present to plant other flowers for the summer.

    @Denise: thank you!

    @Mari: it does, yes.

    @Magiceye: thank you.

    @Carraol: thanks!

    @Kay: I loved that one.

    @Jennifer: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful early morning scenes and beautiful flowers. I like the deep purple flower.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A nice series of showing the theme, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like the mural sho and the last picture also.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Two bottom pictures are stunning, stunning you have taken.

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Nancy: so do I.

    @LDP: I love tulips.

    @Wilf: thank you.

    @MDP: thanks!

    @Carolann: thanks!

    ReplyDelete