Thursday, June 16, 2016

Opened Door

Today I'm starting my series on Doors Open, the weekend event that took place here on the fourth and fifth of June. This event has been going on in Ottawa for fifteen years, and presented over 130 sites for the public to come and visit, making it the second largest annual architectural event in North America. I won't be going in chronological order with these posts, so for some posts you'll see a mix of sun and clouds, which we had on the Saturday, or rainy conditions that we had on the Sunday.

The Malaysian High Commission is in Lowertown, close to a number of other embassies. A High Commission, for those who don't know, is the same thing as an embassy, but is the term used in countries that are both part of the Commonwealth. The building dates back to the 1960s, hence its unusual architecture (I was reminded of a mushroom), and was used as offices for L'Association Canadienne-Francais de L'Ontario at first. The Malaysian government purchased it in the 1970s. This is the first time I've ever been on the property, though I pass by on occasion. The place was busy- they had a Malaysian food festival going on as well- and staff were on hand to take questions. There were also displays of traditional Malaysian attire inside.


The last two shots are not from Doors Open, but from yesterday, though both buildings participated in the event this year (I never seem to make it to the registration list in time for the embassy). I thought they fit well here, given that the reason for coming down was also diplomatic, if more sombre. I went down to the U.S. Embassy yesterday to sign one of the books of condolences for the victims of the Orlando shootings. I liked the way the embassy and the Connaught Building contrasted, and that the embassy was flying the American and Pride flags at half staff, as well as hanging a Pride flag off the glass. The embassy staff had things running smoothly as people came in to sign the books, and while I was in there, there were at least two ambassadors from other countries- and probably as many as six- in the line.

30 comments:

  1. Nice! I could go for that outfit in the third photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Doors Open is such a nice event, we have that here too. To have a look inside of a building you have passed so often is always exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. high commission - a new term for me.
    and mighty high fences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our embassies almost always look like prisons....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures. I second that outfit. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a neat idea to be part of the Doors Open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your open door series are very interesting for us who are not able to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Pat: it was colourful.

    @Marianne: it's a wonderful concept, and it does bring out a lot of people.

    @Tex: some higher than others!

    @Linda: very fitting with that part of the world.

    @Norma: I have gotten used to this one. I've come to the point where I rather like it. But yes, it is quite secure.

    @Carolann: thank you!

    @Bill: it's become a success.

    @Red: it's an idea that would probably do well in cities and towns in Alberta. I know it works in both here in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The High Commission building is interesting and the embassy photos wonderful. Thanks for signing the book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister and I enjoy Doors Open Events. We've done a few. The one that I found most informative was the water processing plant in Peterborough .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that embassy is flying Pride flags. I hope such tragedy won't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doors Open weekend is so interesting, you have just made me look up ours and make a note of it William :) sometimes it slips by me! Very different styles of architecture the embassy and the Connaught building, both impressive in their own way. Well done on signing your support, the US is in a bad way right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We could try a "doors open" thing but I don't know what buildings they would open up! I think it's a great idea in a place like Ottawa which has so many interesting buildings. I rather like the look of this High Commission building. Did you get some Malaysian food to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a wonderful event. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only made it to one place for our Doors Open. And it was a dud.

    ReplyDelete
  16. those clouds are gorgeous. what a fun day. & a great idea as well!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Sharon: you're welcome.

    @Karen: I know that Peterborough's been doing it a number of years. That place sounds not unlike the hydro station that's a regular fixture on our weekend. I should really get out there for next year's event.

    @Tamago: unfortunately it is just a matter of time.

    @Grace: I do see that you've got a similar event in November! Well worth checking out, I would say. And I know this kind of thing is rather like the Museum Night in Europe, and that there are Doors Open events in places like Chicago.

    @Lowell: some of the smaller towns here do about twenty destinations when they have them, but there's always a wide range- churches, homes, places of a utilitarian nature.

    @Kay: and I have more to come.

    @RedPat: ah, that's a shame. I didn't get to as many as I'd hoped to this year, but that's to be expected.

    @Beth: thanks! It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quite a difference, these two buildings. I'm supporting the underdog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the High Commission. Sounds like something I should put in one of my books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun event. Will love following it!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  21. How interesting. I like seeing the traditional clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes very interesting. And as Lois also said we like the traditional clothing.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Jan: the architecture in these embassies is very modern.

    @Mari: it has its origins in British history, that term.

    @Janis: thanks!

    @Lois: it was different.

    @MB: lots more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely thing to do! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. There was an open doors event here one week ago, but I was too busy to attend. This is a time when there is an abundance of riches for photographers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to nineteen spots for this year, twenty, if you count the one that I'm including in a post that I didn't go into.

      Delete