Saturday, July 23, 2016

Within The Gallery

Another stop on Canada Day was at the National Gallery of Canada, where a visitor first comes up the long ramp to the glass tower that gives views of Major's Hill Park, the Chateau Laurier, and Parliament Hill.


This view from the second level, late in my visit, showed a downpour outside.


This painting is from the permanent exhibits; it's a Picasso, titled The Small Table, dating back to 1919. I make note of this here because there was also a special exhibit going on that I stopped in to see. 'Picasso: Man And Beast' is a collection called the Vollard Suite, a series of etchings and drawings the artist did over several years, drawn out of Greek mythology. You can get a taste of the exhibit here. There are few complete sets of the Vollard Suite- many of the sets were broken down into smaller segments for collectors- but major galleries like this one do have them. This exhibition is the first time since the Gallery acquired them that they've been on display. Some of the prints have more of a conventional look, while others definitely look like Pablo's style. Obviously photography in the exhibit hall was out of the question.


There was another exhibit going on that I have to go back to see. Elizabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun was an 18th century portrait artist in the court at Versailles, a favourite of Marie-Antoinette and this exhibit features her life's work. Have a peek at the exhibit website.

24 comments:

  1. I love the look of these galleries and the views are none to shabby either. I'm wondering if there's a story to tell about the two people with red headgear on the left in your first shot. (Or perhaps I'm fashion backward yet again.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the high glass roof shown in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great gallery, I like the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excelente trabalho e belas fotografias.
    Um abraço e bom fim de semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lovely building, isn't it?! We've been!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kay: well, it was Canada Day, so red was in fashion. They may have been wearing red plush moose antlers. I saw several people wearing them.

    @Marleen: it is great architecture.

    @Marianne: the ramp makes for a good photo op.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Jennifer: I love visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the building and the downpour

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like lots of tourists on this day.
    Love the view from the second level.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a busy place. You've shown some good reasons to visit the gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You keep making me want to make a visit to Ottawa. it's been years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnificent! Why do all your public or semi-public buildings look like cathedrals! Sheesh! If it wasn't so damn cold up there in the winter, I'd be tempted to sell and move!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both those shows sound wonderful, William!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Cloudia: good to be indoors during a downpour!

    @MB: the core of the city was very busy all day. That's typical for Canada Day.

    @Red: it is a wonderful art gallery. I have more to come.

    @Linda: thank you!

    @Jackie: it's a good idea for the anniversary next year.

    @Lowell: this is a very modern kind of cathedral!

    @RedPat: the second one I really do want to see before it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The gallery has such a pleasant space. I love high ceilings.
    Those exhibits sounds great. I'd like to go see art works by Elizabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That first shot is very impressive, waht a building and what a view from inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the tall ceilings. i am such a fan of the 1st long hallway shot. that is so awesome!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would be most interested in seeing both the Picasso exhibition and the Marie Anoinette portraitist exhibition. Adore the sense of space created by those tall windows. In your first photo, the two figures on the left seem to be dressed for a special reason. Odd headgear???

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like an exciting place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh William, gorgeous views before you even get into the National Gallery.. the glass tower is fabulous, worth a visit just to see this 😃

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never understood the popularity of Picasso....

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Tamago: it was quite a thing to score the exhibit.

    @Jan: it is a beautiful building.

    @Beth: it is a wonderful design.

    @Whisk: me too.

    @Mari: thanks!

    @Gemma: moose antlers, I think. I saw several people wearing them that day.

    @Kate: it is.

    @Grace: thanks!

    @Norma: me either.

    ReplyDelete