This is a section of Sparks Street downtown. The outdoor pedestrian mall is a block south of Parliament Hill. The architecture of the entire street has changed over time- in the 1860s, a boarding house stood where the Subway now resides. It was a local home for Members of Parliament away from their ridings. Note the historical plaque over to the side.
The boarding house was the residence for Thomas D'Arcy McGee, an Irish born journalist, activist, Montreal M.P., Father of Confederation, and one of the most eloquent Canadian politicians of his time. He was coming home late one evening in April 1868 from debates in the House of Commons when he was shot down by an assassin at his doorstep. The plaque is placed here at the site.
Walking east along the street brings us to a modern building named after him. The Thomas D'Arcy McGee Building houses, among other things, a number of federal courtrooms- a fitting use, as McGee's accomplishments included a law degree. The building itself is decidedly contemporary in its look (and very reflective), with a new addition in front of it- the bear sculpture was moved in recent months from its place further east on the street.
McGee's trail also leads further east on Sparks to a pub named after him. D'Arcy McGee's is housed on the first floor of one of the three buildings that make up The Chambers.