Friday, June 29, 2018

Christ Church Cathedral

Christ Church Cathedral is the other church overlooking the Garden of the Provinces and Territories here in Ottawa. It is a regular participant in Doors Open. Founded in 1832, the current church was commissioned in 1870 in the English Gothic style. It serves as the seat for the Anglican diocese of Ottawa.


A recently installed sculpture of a homeless Jesus by Timothy Schmalz, an artist from St. Jacob's, Ontario, stands out front. There are others of this sculpture in various spots around the world, including in Vatican City, and he has another one here in Ottawa, a sitting Christ as a homeless person sculpture that is set outside St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church.


The front door caught my eye.


The sanctuary is a large, soaring one.


The stained glass in here is plentiful, from larger windows like the one overlooking the organ loft, to the regular ones alongside the sanctuary and even smaller ones here and there.


Here we have the altar at the front of the sanctuary, beneath its formidable stained glass.


This is just off the main sanctuary, a side chapel that can be used for a smaller service. I have more from here tomorrow.

28 comments:

  1. ...I still remember the feeling seeing St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral in Buffalo, NY and their 'Homeless Jesus.' Powerful.

    https://backroadstraveller.blogspot.com/2016/11/homeless-jesus.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual the colored stained glass windows have attracted my attention most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the door details ... very cool!! some of those bench (guess u call them statues?) they look so real. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful church, but I was particularly touched by the image of the lying Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She’s a beauty. A wonderful place to sit and think/pray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lady Fi: thank you!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Tom: this one certainly is.

    @Karl: mine too.

    @Beth: this one looks real.

    @Jan: it's very poignant.

    @Marie: it definitely is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a very beautiful church. Thank you for taking me inside for a tour. And that homeless sculpture is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hinge on the front door is pretty special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always amazed ath the size and beauty of some of the old churches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm enjoying the open doors with you William, amazing to think through the medium of CDP we can see and experience these trips with each other ✨ Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful designs. That is a very unique front door!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @DJan: when I was looking at his site yesterday, I saw some of the artist's other works, and immediately knew that the other one in town had to also be his. Sure enough, there was confirmation in the page.

    @Sharon: it certainly is.

    @Red: this one is impressive.

    @Grace: Doors Open is a wonderful program.

    @Nancy: I like that door.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The homeless sculpture is very poignant and I like the red door very much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm almost cure I've sung there! I have a horrid head cold, and I'm not sure of anything... Lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The door caught my eye, too, but I especially like the homeless Jesus sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the metalwork on that door!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful church, I like the pulpit inside and the sculpture outside:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful church ~ that homeless Jesus statue is impressive ~ lovely photos!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very impressive and beautiful church. Fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Jeanie: it is quite poignant.

    @Jennifer: the church is quite distinctive.

    @Pat: I figured that would get comments.

    @RedPat: so do I.

    @Rosie: I do too.

    @Cloudia: quite so.

    @Carol: thank you!

    @Bill: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely church. I like your shots. They're interesting and show nice detail. The sculpture is very provocative.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous church and the homeless Jesus statue I find very moving. Also liked the ironwork on the red door.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely photographs :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Kay: it is indeed.

    @Denise: so did I.

    @Klara: thank you.

    @Jan: thanks!

    ReplyDelete