Sunday, June 3, 2018

Colours On The Gatineau Shore

On Victoria Day, as mentioned in yesterday's post, I got a lot of walking in, including an excursion across the Ottawa River into Gatineau. There are tulip beds to be found here, especially at the Canadian Museum of History, with beds near both the exhibition and curatorial wings.


The space between the two wings offers a splendid view back across the river to Ottawa, with the Chateau Laurier and Parliament Hill visible over there. The museum's fountain was back up and running for the season since my last visit.


Here we have a tulip bed with the curatorial wing in the background. First Nations architect Douglas Cardinal designed this museum, and its grand curves reflect his indigenous heritage. It is a masterpiece of architecture.


Heading east, this is the other side of the curatorial wing, with tulips in the flowerbeds before it.


More proof of squirrels being gardeners- this tulip was one of several growing in the bushes behind the formal beds.


I crossed over towards the main entrance of Jacques Cartier Park, having had decided to take the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge back to Ottawa. These tulips were lining the entrance.


Another item at this entrance is a larger than life statue of the great Montreal hockey player Maurice "Rocket" Richard.


Here we have a view of the tulips in the park itself, with views of the Alexandra Bridge and the Ottawa skyline. You might notice structures here in the park. MosaiCanada was held here last year, and it seems the topiary exhibit is going to be back on again this year. This portion of the park was fenced off, with people at work on the grounds for that purpose.


My path took me past more tulips.


And I finish with a touch of the future- many of you will remember the Mother Earth topiary that was the highlight of MosaiCanada. This is how she looks as a work in progress. Workers were using a lift for some tasks on the topiary as I passed by. I shall have to get over here when the event gets underway.

32 comments:

  1. Hello, Some of my favorite photos so far. The tulips are lovely and the architecture and parks and sculptures are fun to see. I appreciate you taking us along with you on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, beautiful fountain and sculptures. I love all the tulips. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...the Mother Earth topiary will look smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pink tulip is especially pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last photo has piqued my interest...
    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy blooms ... so cheerful. one day i hope to see a hockey game in person. what fun. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mildred: thanks!

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Tom: it will be.

    @Janey: I think so too.

    @Janis: I look forward to seeing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uma rica diversidade pude admirar nestes seus clicks mas as tulipas me conquistaram pelo seu colorido e beleza
    Um feliz domingo, William
    Abraços

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see the statue of the Rocket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tulips are such an explosion of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sweeping lines of the tulip gardens and the modern building architecture in the fourth and fifth photos are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...and I still like Douglas Cardinal's buildings. His first building is in Red Deer ...St Mary's Catholic church.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the pictures are excellent, but my favorite is the first of the tulips with all that diversity of color and beauty.
    Greetings
    Maria
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos. White tulips are a favorite. They are light floral streetlights.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your world is filled with beauty! Wonderful series of floral shots and the sculptures too!

    Happy Times to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. splashes of color everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all of the vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! Colour and relief!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh WOW!
    What a truly wonderful walk.
    I so enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

    Happy June!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Beth: thanks!

    @Gracita: thank you!

    @Marie: he was quite a player.

    @Fun60: and still more to come.

    @Jo: I certainly thought so.

    @Red: he is an amazing architect.

    @Maria: thank you!

    @SPA: thanks!

    @Carol: there's a lot of tulip colours here.

    @Sharon: definitely!

    @Norma: so do I.

    @Cloudia: indeed!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Jan: I enjoy showing them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of lovely colors here also! And what would a Canadian post be without a hockey player? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fountain is very nice and very refreshing!
    I melt when I see the tulips ... hier the season is over for tulpen!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I prefer the first 4 photos in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so colorful. I love the pink tulip. And the foundation is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. As usual, your fantastic display. Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Museum of History is glorious in itself and more so now that it has awakened with spring.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've missed these magnificent views over the last few days William, beautiful sight ✨

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hockey player and tulips. What a match.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That first photo of the red and yellows? Just brilliant in color!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @RedPat: so do I.

    @Lowell: of course!

    @Ella: it's a climate and topography thing for us having them later.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Tamago: thank you.

    @Mari: thanks!

    @Kay: I agree.

    @Grace: thanks!

    @Klara: they are!

    @Jeanie: I think so too.

    ReplyDelete