Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Former Mill

As some of you will have noticed yesterday, I have switched out my header image for something more fitting for summer. This one is from last summer at the MosaiCanada event over on the Gatineau side of the Ottawa River.

Today I am beginning my Doors Open series with the first place I visited, though generally speaking I will not be proceeding from here in chronological order. Doors Open is an annual event here in Ottawa (and other parts of the province from April through to October) that gets visitors into various sites over a weekend, sites of historical or architectural interest. This year over 140 places in Ottawa were on the list. I started with the Mill Street Brew Pub, which has been at this location since 2012. The old Thompson-Perkins Mill was established in 1842 here on the shoreline of the Ottawa River, where it passes through a series of islands. It was a lumber mill, and years ago was converted into a restaurant use. The present pub has been doing good business since taking it on six years ago, and it was open for the weekend as part of the event. I photographed it first from the nearby Portage Bridge.


Then I came down to the grounds itself.


The old mill is preserved, with most of the pub inside, while there are patio terraces outside and in the portion of the structure that's exposed to the elements- you can see that in the above shot, where the western section of the structure is devoid of glass. This view looks towards the Portage Bridge from a balcony terrace in the pub. Victoria Island lies on the other side, one of those islands occupying this stretch of the river.


Here's where I was. This being the morning, the pub wasn't too busy- most people coming in for a bite to eat chose the outside patios.


Moving towards the window, I took this shot of the west section, which is open to the elements. The limestone structure seems well taken care of.


Aside from being a pub, the place also serves as a micro brewery, with the operations behind glass, but out in the open for visitors to see.


I like this shot. Looking down through a window, this looks into the exposed section of the old mill, with a patio down below. 


My final shot from here looks into that open area, with the staircase having had caught my eye.

34 comments:

  1. Your new header is fascinating, especially the huge head. And the old mill's transformation is a site to behold! With not only a restaurant, but a micro-brewery! Thanks for a terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the header image!
    This is def a place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...old mills are among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi William, your header is amazing! I like the beautifully restored mill as a restaurant and pub. LOVED the staircase in the last shot too. Thanks for sharing. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnifico este belo e agradável restaurante.
    Gostei do novo visual do blogue.
    Um abraço e bom Domingo.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    Livros-Autografados

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see the sunshine. The buildings look so majestic in the sunlight. I wish every city had an open doors event.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lowell: you're welcome.

    @Marianne: I thought it appropriate.

    @Catarina: it is quite a pub.

    @Tom: and this is well preserved.

    @Marie: so do I.

    @Jo: you're welcome.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Janis: it is a fun event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do these mill conversions so well. Micro breweries are becoming more and more popular✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your new summer header. And this was a very nice start for Doors Open.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fitting photo for your header. Someone was very wise to keep the old mill and develop it into a first class facility.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Schöne Bild im Hader interessanter Bericht über die alte Mühle.

    Noke

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice new heading photo, people and summer
    The mill left part open makes the placeo look more expansive, like a lovely park to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting header. I sure loved the tulips, but I am glad you are keeping in line with the seasons. Interesting pub! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the waterfall header shot. nice!! i am curious about that apartment behind there ... the odd square area ... gotta go look again. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Grace: this one seems to do good business.

    @Jan: and I have more to come. I just have to make sure the text is written ahead of time, but I've got the photos placed.

    @Red: I don't know if it was the previous restaurant that was here, or if there was a predecessor. That last restaurant did go out of business.

    @Noke: thank you.

    @Maywyn: it was a good touch.

    @DJan: I like going seasonal, and summer is now establishing itself here.

    @Beth: the apartment buildings in the first shot are a short walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They made something wonderful from the old mill.
    I like your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great place for Sunday brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great view from the pub! The outside seating area looks nice, too. Love the header. It’s fitting for summer indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The old mill, a lovely place to visit and have a bite to eat. I love the new header, it looks great, William.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great inside, would love to have a meal in there. I bet it has a wonderful ambience.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The weather has to eventually deteriorate the old, unprotected portions of the mill. A shame.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely old building in a fine setting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent photo tour! Looks like an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Old places are cool for restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a good idea for an event! I think this might have been the first spot I would visit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the new header! Nice place for a meal and a beer, William

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful to have the old mill restored in use for a lovely brewery and foods! Great shots!

    Happy Week to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  28. William, I enjoy seeing new uses for old buildings as evidenced by the fact that I live in an apartment in a former textile mill here in Nashua, NH. This grist mill looks like the type of place I'd enjoy visiting myself. Hope you took some for lunch and a cool one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I missed so many great posts here while we were traveling! Scrolled back to find an explanation of 'open doors' ... and what a great idea . We like visiting brewpubs, especially where you can watch the operation in the brewery. And what a great old building with so much history (to think about as you sip?)..... I skipped rather quickly through the posts between your latest and this one but many things caught my eye and I'll be back to read more carefully. Open Doors is a wonderful thing. (I'd want more than a weekend though!) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Marleen: thank you!

    @RedPat: indeed.

    @Tamago: thanks!

    @Bill: thank you.

    @Denise: it does.

    @Mari: now it seems well taken care of.

    @Kay: that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Linda: it is.

    @Klara: they are.

    @Jeanie: when I planned out my visits in advance, it made sense to start here.

    @Cloudia: I certainly thought so.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Beatrice: not that day.

    @Jennifer: they do indeed.

    @Sallie: you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete