Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Temple Of Science

Since I am busy here at the moment, take a look at my writer's blog for a photo post today on last weekend's Dragon Boat Festival here in Ottawa.

The National Research Council marked its centennial year in 2016. Founded by the federal government during the First World War, the NRC continues its mandate of scientific research and technology. Here on Sussex Drive, on the west side of the Rideau Falls area, can be found what is called the Temple of Science. It was part of the Doors Open event this year. The Temple dates to 1932, houses laboratories, and was designed to be a work of art in and of itself. This is not the headquarters of the organization- that is elsewhere in the city- but it is an architectural marvel.


Heading for the entrance, I paused to photograph the building across the street. This is the Pearson Building, part of the headquarters for our foreign ministry (the Diefenbaker Building, which is to the east,  makes up the rest of the headquarters). This building was also on the Doors Open list this year, but I didn't go in, though I have before for Doors Open.


The building's architecture, of limestone with Italian influences, is a visual delight. The agency's researchers have included Nobel winners. I stepped in to photograph around the lobby area.

28 comments:

  1. ...lots of nice architectural details, I like the stair case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, an architectural marvel. So sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, pretty building, I like the staircase! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Francisco: thank you!

    @Tom: it is quite a building.

    @Janis: they built this to last.

    @Jennifer: it certainly is.

    @Catarina: I agree.

    @Marie: definitely.

    @Eileen: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it was a visual delight and yes, it is very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos of the stairs and arches. Quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both photos of the stairs. Lines and curves, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too like the stairs and arches. Lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very solid looking government building.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Red: it is a building meant to impress.

    @Jeanie: thank you!

    @Marleen: thanks!

    @Pat: it was well designed.

    @Sharon: they built this one just right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful staircase that is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, the staircase is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fan of the long shining corridors and the stairways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great historical building ~ favorite are the stairway photos ~ very creative!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. arches are everywhere. love the staircase. love all the details. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  16. @RedPat: it is!

    @Bill: I agree.

    @Jan: so am I.

    @Carol: thank you!

    @Beth: I do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The woodwork on that staircase is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely building, and you've taken some fine shots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That staircase is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A visual delight indeed William! The 1930's were a good year for architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't that staircase wonderful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too like that staircase but would not like to walk up it as these days I prefer to ride up and walk down.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Mari: it's quite a staircase.

    @Kay: thank you.

    @Catalyst: it is.

    @Grace: they were!

    @Jan: definitely!

    @Beatrice: I can see it being problematic if one has knee problems. I have knee problems in the winter, thanks to an incident years ago involving a careless driver.

    @Klara: I think security wouldn't appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete