Sunday, September 16, 2018

Storytelling

A large central area in the exhibit featured changing images on its walls, which surrounded a round set of display screens. This first shot features one of those wall images- a statue of Joan of Arc.


Several of the display screens featured legends and stories that rose up during the medieval period from various parts of Europe. Robin Hood, Beowulf & Grendel, King Arthur and his knights of Camelot, and the tragic Tristan and Isolde are some of those stories. Somewhere in the back of my mind is a one-off tale of Camelot from Merlin's point of view, but instead of the old man we see him as, I'd write him as a warlock who stops aging in his early twenties and lives into the current day.


Here we have another of these shifting wall images.


And yet another. Cathedral architecture is another legacy of the medieval period, and several different examples were shown on these walls.


Here we have two more of the display panels on thematic areas.


This stone grave marker is from the 9th century, giving the name of Ugoid, an Anglo-Saxon in northern England who had been baptized a Christian.


Three items are in this case. The figurine is alabaster, made in France at some point in the 15th century, meant to be a tomb decoration. The ivory panels at left date from the 14th century, also from France, and are a diptych, depicting images of the Resurrection and serving as a worship aid. The plaque at the right is gilded copper from France, also 14th century, and depicts the entrance of Hell as the mouth of a gigantic monster.


I'm not certain as to if this was a reproduction or not, but this was a common sight throughout the exhibit. Stone capitals are a signature element in medieval architecture, carved by masons to top columns, and often using nature as a motif. Some of them included faces- the 'green men' of the style. One of the more famous examples of Green Men can be found at Winchester Cathedral in Britain.

36 comments:

  1. The large screens are brilliant
    It must be neat to see them. Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carvings are wonderful especially the 9th century grave marker. I like the way the wall screens bring the objects to life in their various settings:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Linda: I quite enjoyed it.

    @Gattina: it was quite a thing to take in.

    @Maywyn: they were well worth including.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Tom: definitely.

    @Rosie: I did too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those large wall images are such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say medieval times were very dramatic William, but I'm guessing when future generations look back they might say the same about our generation 😑

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, the grave marker and stone carvings are amazing. Great exhibit. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stories... a very important part of our culture although many people are not aware of them. Stories help to explain how we got some of the things we have today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those projections on the walls look fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would enjoy seeing the images along with the display. A nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty visual, so I like that kind of modern presentations of light images

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome photos---A very interesting period
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Marie: it definitely is.

    @RedPat: I really liked them.

    @Grace: too true!

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Red: that is true.

    @Sharon: I agree.

    @Lois: I enjoyed it.

    @Jan: this worked well.

    @MB: definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a great exhibition. Shifting images on the wall must be fun to watch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very interesting exhibition. William. I like the idea of changing views on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great exhibition to see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fascinating. I am learning so much as you describe these exhibits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Tamago: I liked them.

    @Marleen: it was well done.

    @Bill: I enjoyed my visit.

    @DJan: and I'm enjoying showing it.

    @Norma: definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely exhibit photos ~ We have a statue of Joan of Arc ~ life size in a circle in downtown Gloucester MA

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uma exposição original e muito interessante
    Um abraço, William

    ReplyDelete
  20. The cathedrals from this period are very grand.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The wall with the blue arch on the screen makes me think of a Star Trek holodeck. The future is here!

    The stone crosses are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fascinating displays and I really like your story idea -- we could certainly use a little good magic (or a lot) these days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Display screens are wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really love the projection screens. Puts you right in the picture, doesn't it, and lets you follow through. Those artifacts are beautiful. There is something so compelling to me about medieval architecture. I like your Merlin take.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad I can see this on your blog if not in person. Less crowds anyway lol!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks an interesting exhibition, William.
    What a good idea the changing views on the walls.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Carol: I can't think of any here.

    @Gracita: thank you.

    @Kay: they are indeed.

    @Sandi: I can see that.

    @Beth: quite so.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Sallie: indeed.

    @Klara: I think so too.

    @Jeanie: thank you!

    @Jenn: that's true!

    @Beth: thanks.

    @Jan: thank you!

    ReplyDelete