Sunday, September 30, 2018

Evening Light And Welcome Walkens

I have some odds and ends today. During Buskerfest one evening, I ventured out past Sparks Street to the grounds of the War Memorial and took this shot of the Chateau Laurier at night, from the southwest. Plaza Bridge and the sculpture set known as The Valiants are between myself and the hotel.


Taken a few metres away, this is a view of the National Arts Centre, with its glass tower lit up with imagery of upcoming programming.


August also sees fireworks in Ottawa over a two week period on several different nights, an international event featuring fireworks crews from various countries. I came to the grounds of the Supreme Court and photographed the display from there. It made for an interesting contrast with the Art Deco architecture of the building.


I photographed this ad near Sparks Street during Buskerfest. It's one of several variations on the same theme for this radio station in town. Which I don't listen to. I haven't listened to radio at all for years. Why? Too many ads, and way too much yak yak yak bloody hell would you people shut up yak yak. I am not a morning person, and while I freely admit these four might be entirely pleasant in person, I don't feel like starting my day with the standard morning radio script- the bantering male and female DJs, the sports jock, and the weather and traffic girl, each of whom talks in an incessantly cheerful way that makes me just want to throttle them.

Did I mention I'm not a morning person?


Another shot from the time of our Buskerfest. Hammocks were set up on Sparks Street. Here's my point of view looking down my long legs. Yes, that hammock was exceedingly comfortable, and it had been years since I'd been in one.


This was the view looking straight up. The building is the C.D. Howe Building, a government complex. I've been up on the roof once during Doors Open; there's a rooftop garden that's usually only accessible to employees in the building.


Here's much the same view the following day.


This sign is at the entrance to a barbershop in the Byward Market.


Nearby, the York Steps, leading up from the Market to Major's Hill Park, have been painted this year with a salmon design. Kwashkwan-in! is the title, and it means jump in Algonquin as rendered by the artist Naomi Ratte of the Peguis First Nation. Six salmon are making their way up a waterfall, part of their life cycle.


Sunflowers are at their height here in August and early September. These are in the flowerbeds outside the Sunnyside branch of the Ottawa Public Library.


Here we have an evening view taken at the Canadian War Museum, showing Lebreton Gallery lit up within. The Canadian fighter jet that's at the heart of this display area is visible through the windows.


And I close out with what has to surely be the ugliest car in Ottawa. I've seen this one in motion many times (it's even more hideous at night when half the crap on this thing is lit up), but haven't photographed it before. One weekend day earlier this month I finally came across it parked in the Byward Market.

30 comments:

  1. Great photos of lights! The sign is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful the lights are and the salmon on the steps are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christopher Walken is one actor i would really enjoy meeting, such character. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stairs and fish is an amazing visual. Good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Linda: I got such a kick out of it.

    @Marianne: so do I.

    @Tom: they stand out.

    @Rosie: I agree.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Beth: he's one of a kind.

    @Red: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sign. The fish on the steps are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't decide on a favorite since you got a lot of good pics there! CBC radio in the a.m. is easy to handle - no loud music or people yelling and being crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful blog with great shots. The night shots are beautiful and so are the sky shot between the two buildings and the stairs with the salmons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fish and stairs is my favorite. I like the sign "We accept Walkens", pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That car is ugly! Love the new header.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those sunflowers, happy flowers. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jennifer: it's fitting for a barbershop!

    @RedPat: I find it easier to ease into the day with quiet.

    @Sharon: it was!

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Bill: it was.

    @Revrunner: they were beautiful this year.

    @Marie: whoever owns it, if he sells it, he'll have to give the new owner thousands of dollars to take it off his hands. Who on earth would want that?

    @Happyone: they are indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful night shots! Lovely sunflower photos ~ Since you are not a 'morning' person you must enjoy taking the night shots!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so fun to be out taking photos at night. Yours are good ones!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos! The stairs are really interesting and the fish make the ordinary lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A nice set of photos!
    I have never seen a car with so many “accessories”!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post was a lot of fun, just what I needed. I smiled at your insistence that you are NOT a morning person. I believe you. And you captured the fireworks perfectly. Thank you for the smiles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely not a morning person either.
    This is a fun assortment of photos. I especially like that stairway.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Walkens! Ha ha...that's who I thought of when I saw the title. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That salmon art piece on the stairs seems to fit in perfectly. Does it change yearly? I would be sad to paint over such a neat piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the night lights. Nice stairs and I like the car in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous set of photographs you've shared here William
    I've never sat/lay in a hammock that does look quite comfy!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was going to say I liked the fireworks best--until I saw the sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice idea for painting steps like that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Carol: I do.

    @Janis: thanks!

    @Michelle: definitely.

    @Catarina: too many.

    @DJan: you're welcome.

    @Kay: it's a wonderful staircase.

    @Sandi: I still get a kick out of it. I passed by there two or three weeks back, and the sign's still in the window.

    @Jenn: I think it does change each year. I haven't photographed it this year.

    @Nancy: thank you!

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Norma: they stand out.

    @Klara: I agree.

    ReplyDelete