Saturday, February 19, 2022

Cold And Hot

Two more of the snow sculptures in the Byward Market that were set up in 2014 during Winterlude with a nod to the Winter Olympics.


Near them lies Beavertails- the prime location of a Canadian company, owned locally, that makes fried pastry treats in the shape of a beaver tail. They're open all year, but do big business during Winterlude, both here and the various locations along the Canal.


This is one of them, with cinnamon and sugar being my choice. There are other flavours on the menu too.


And another Canadian food icon: poutine. This is at Dunn's, an eatery in the Byward Market. At its basic form, it's fries covered with gravy and cheese curds. Just the thing for a cold day.


The Rideau Canal again, in a different spot. This is below the Bank Street Bridge where it crosses the Canal.


Here's one of the arches of the bridge itself, taken that year.


And just east of the bridge, this view looking to the other side, where a former convent looms above the slope, now playing host to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons.


Skaters downtown. Here we're below the Mackenzie King Bridge, with the Laurier Avenue Bridge in the background.


The view from above. Confederation Park lies to the right, with the Cartier Square Drill Hall beyond the Laurier Bridge in the background.


And in early evening.

40 comments:

  1. William - ok, I REALLY need a beavertail and some poutine! Been skiing today and I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Beaver Tail-idea. And your choice reminds of Poor Knights my Grandma used to make.
    I want a poutine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too want to try the Beaver Tails and poultine. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The suger sculptures look a bit strange, but I appreciated very much that you eat Poutine, that's the way the French write Putin the Russian warrior, otherwise it would be pronounced putin which means a prostitute in French so they added an u !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see all those skaters on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever heard the comedian Jim Gaffigan talk about poutine? He calls it irresponsible. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I remember Beavertails from the Tulip Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is probably the true mark of my Canadian identity that I have partaken of a beaver tail, poutine and blooming onion at the Byward Market. I can feel a surge of patriotic feeling coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all for sugar and cinnamon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    Great sculptures, I like the first Olympic sculpture. Skating looks to be very popular there on the canal.
    The cinnamon pastry looks yummy. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having recently consumed a deep fried mars bar, I really shouldn’t be enticed by poutine. Should I?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Angie: they're good comfort food.

    @Iris: beavertails are delicious.

    @Nancy: both are good.

    @Gattina: I did not know that.

    @Jan: it certainly is.

    @Sandi: then I enjoy irresponsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Tom: yes, that's right.

    @David: all the better.

    @Jennifer: it tends to be my go to.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @anvilcloud: yes you should.

    @Marie: I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'd like to try Poutine...at least once. So decadent and heart warming, I imagine. We've got chili cheese fries some places here...with a nacho cheese. When a grandson ordered that, I did try a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never eaten a beaver tail or poutine. I'm not tempted by either for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are tempting me with that food today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always a lot of fun at winter interlude.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beaver tails sounds interesting, I would give it a try. Never had poutine but I heard it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for snow sculptures, beavertails and poutine! Great post William!

    ReplyDelete
  20. At Spain, it is being a warm winter. That week we have reached 25ºC.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @DJan: good!

    @Barbara: not too long ago I had poutine topped with Montreal smoked beef. That was decadent.

    @RedPat: you're missing out.

    @Magiceye: thank you.

    @Sharon: that's the idea.

    @Red: very much so.

    @Bill: it really is.

    @Denise: thank you.

    @MDP: it's very cold here today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The snow sculptures are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is so good to see a lot of people, even if only in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just a small piece of that beaver's "tail" would go great with tea, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sure many folks enjoy the Beaver tails, they sound tasty.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a grandson who is always happy to find poutine on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such beautiful snow sculptures and Yummy food offers ~

    Wishing you a happy day ~

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't had poutine in ages and it looks so good! And I'd never seen, though heard of, a beavertail. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The snow carvings are spectacular. The beaver tail looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete