Monday, February 7, 2022

Views Around The Gallery

Have a look over at my writer's blog today for a rant that's overdue concerning the events of recent days in my city.

I start today with a look at artillery of different eras. 


Close by is a truck I showed in yesterday's post. A British made Fordson mobile canteen was vital for the army, keeping the troops fed during the Second World War, but also providing food for those victims of the German air raids. It's open, so you can see the interior space and the equipment inside.


Armoured cars and tanks came out of the First World War. One of them is included as the last item I'm focusing on in the Gallery. These provided mounted support for infantry. 


It's here at right largely in silhouette. 


One last look into the Gallery for today.


The ramp leading up out of the Gallery and towards the main entrance is lined with war art, most of them being large canvases. The first of them is the dramatic painting The Taking Of Vimy Ridge, Easter Monday 1917 by Richard Jack, done in 1919.

26 comments:

  1. We have such a food truck just around the corner at the university. It´s used for COVID-tests, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very dramatic painting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Great views of the exhibit. I like the mobile canteen. Have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? You have another blog? I will try to remember better when I am on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was interesting to know about the mobile canteen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food truck is adorable. It looks so contemporary, like it is on the street today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food truck is interesting. I like the painting. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Iris: not surprising.

    @Gemel: very much so.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Tom: me too.

    @anvilcloud: I write there once a week.

    @Italiafinlandia: it was built to last.

    @Jan: it's a suitable addition.

    @Maywyn: I think so too.

    @Nancy: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing post with well done painting and the unique food truck ~

    Wishing you happiness in your day,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That mobile canteen is a strange looking vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’d never seen one of those mobile canteens before. Thank you for shar8ng.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The war museum has been interesting. I never thought about some of the things like that mobile canteen -- all necessary for the troops but I never gave it a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The canteen truck looks so different from the ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Un buen resumen, de lo que se puede visitar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. so i have been thinking about ya William. said to my hubby last night. ... my bloggy friend is in Ottawa ...wonder what is happening with him? he said Beth ... Ottawa is huge ... like Texas. i wonder the size? i mean i can look at the map but i wonder?? you take care ... thinking about my Northern friends so much. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photoes from the museum!i like the food truck wan so great!also the painting!Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @RedPat: me too.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Sharon: very much so.

    @Marie: you're welcome.

    @Sallie: quite necessary.

    @Bill: they'd be different now.

    @Ventana: thank you.

    @Beth: population wise, Ottawa is under a million. Geographically speaking it is a big city, but most of that area is rural- a legacy of amalgamation.

    @Anita: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute, contemporary looking food truck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm fascinated by such equipment thank you William. Sorry for what you're dealing with right now in your city.

    ReplyDelete