Monday, February 14, 2022

Cold Canal

A reminder to members of City Daily Photo that the theme for March 1st is Solitude.

Today I begin a series on Winterlude, the annual winter festival in Ottawa and Gatineau. It's actually going to be a retrospective tour through the archives, as for the second year in a row the formal events are called off because of Covid. That said, the centrepiece of the entire event is the Rideau Canal Skateway, and that's open for skaters. And so today I'm showing you some of the Skateway, which winds 7.8 kilometres from Plaza Bridge down to Carleton University. To begin with, in the latter part of January, I was crossing the Canal near its starting point and took two shots.


Coming back from my errands, I photographed again from the Mackenzie King Bridge. This view looks northward, including the National Arts Centre and Parliament Hill on the left side, and the Chateau Laurier and Government Conference Centre on the right.


On the other side of the bridge, this view looks towards the Laurier Avenue Bridge, with Confederation Park at right. The Cartier Square drill hall lies beyond the bridge.


On an early February day, I took a walk along a portion of the Skateway. I started with this view from on the Pretoria Bridge.


Here's a look at the bridge from the ice surface.


Further along is an inlet feeding into the Canal. Patterson Creek is in the heart of the Glebe, and a portion of it is cleared for skaters. It's a quiet area suitable for beginners to learn.



This looks back at the main body of the Canal. Skaters were just going by as I snapped this shot.


I carried on. The Flora Bridge is one of two pedestrian bridges spanning the Canal in the city, and it's the newer of the two. 


I left the Canal at the Bank Street Bridge, first photographing the view to the east.


And then the west. Tomorrow we start looking into the past. 

38 comments:

  1. Nice scenes. I really like the third photo but I'm not sure why I'm drawn to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for this, William.
    Oh, how I missed it overhere this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and son-in-law skate on the canal a couple of times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Ottawa must have the longest skating rink in North America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    It does look like a cool place to ice skate, great series.
    Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I wish I could jump into these photos. They are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful skating rind for those who knows how to skate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be cold on the canal today. Maybe the protestors should go sit on it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skating on that canal is pretty special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Linda: thank you.

    @Jan: I knew you'd like it. Plenty more skating shots over the course of the retrospective.

    @David: I walk stretches of it.

    @Tom: Winnipeg has longer, but a narrow area. Ottawa's skate surface by square meters is much larger.

    @Eileen: the Canal is a wonderful place.

    @Gemel: thank you.

    @Nancy: and even those who don't.

    @Anvilcloud: I would not sully the skateway with that verminous scum.

    @Marie: definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm feeling a bit of a chill after looking at these photos! ;-). Happy Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It feels as if the ice may last a long time this year! It is such a fabulous place - thanks for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always wanted to skate on the Rideau , but it ain't gonna happen now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I knew how to skate! Too late now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like these photos. I skated a lot, when I was growing up. A very enjoyable activity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Favorite is the arched bridge going over the canal ~ great photos ~


    Wishing you lots of love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The canal looks great in the winter. Time for everyone to dust off their skates.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How I would love to skate on the Rideau Canal. Beautifully captured!

    ReplyDelete
  19. we had some ice yesterday. wish it had been snow. well i guess i should say some snow but nothing did stick. fun to watch. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  20. it does look very very cold there but wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Es indudable, que estas imágenes son de invierno...hasta puedo sentir el frío.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all that snow, especially when it's in Canada. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Maywyn: social distance is easy and it offers respite from the reprehensible slime occupying the downtown.

    @Sharon: we have plenty of cold days.

    @RedPat: you're welcome.

    @Magiceye: that they are.

    @Red: I never learned.

    @Catarina: it's not something I do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Michelle: many do.

    @Carol: I like that too.

    @Bill: it's quite an experience.

    @Denise: many people do.

    @Beth: thank you.

    @Amy: cold indeed.

    @Ventana: thanks.

    @Revrunner: snow is great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How I'd love to go ice skating down there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How good to see people out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are fortunate to have the canal and cold weather! Such a great spot. My kids were there a couple of weeks ago (3?) and had a great time, as well as beavertails.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Even though I'm not a fan of winter, I always enjoy your winterlude posts!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice collection of photographs William, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete