Sunday, September 15, 2024

The Star

 More looks to start things off today of The Spirit Of Haida Gwaii.


A short way beyond, and a look up. Morning Star is a huge mural by the Dene artist Alex Janvier, who died recently. The artist painted this on a dome high overhead in 1993, in his abstract style heavily influenced by his indigenous roots. It is bold, colourful, dynamic, and my favourite work of art in the national capital area; despite my general disregard for the abstract movement, Janvier is the exception. I love his work.


One can even use the escalators and staircases to frame the painting in a different way.


At the top level, up close and personal with the painting.

28 comments:

  1. So beautiful ! I must look up his artwork. Is his son still working ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have truly educated us about the culture of your country, for which I am grateful. William aloha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sculpture and the mural, both are beautiful. Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that ceiling with the staircase. What a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for more shots of The Spirit Of Haida Gwaii. I mentioned yesterday I'd stand about an hour looking at it if I were there. And the star is incredible too. It's too bad that one has to crane one's neck to enjoy looking at it. No hour long look at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some nice chairs at ground level that help make looking up easier!

      Delete
  6. Awesome star with magnificent colors and light ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sculpture and art work looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I’ve seen that Morning Star painting before. Probably on your page or FB feed. It is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete