Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Creativity

Countess Tolstoya is a formal oil portrait of a Russian noblewoman done in 1796 by Elizabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun. A French artist and friend of Marie Antoinette, Le Brun fled France at the start of the Revolution and spent her time abroad continuing her work.


The Bridge At Narni is an 1827 painting by the French artist Camille Corot, depicting an ancient Roman bridge.


The Waterfalls dates to around 1872, and is an oil painting by the French artist Gustave Courbet, one of his final landscapes before seeking asylum in Switzerland.


I took this perspective of a corridor off the main gallery.


Rue de l'Hermitage, Pontoise is an 1875 oil painting by Camille Pissarro depicting the quiet town near Paris where he was living.


Claude Monet painted Jean Pierre Hoschede and Michel Monet On The Bank Of The Epte around 1887-90, showing his step-son and son near their home in Giverny. 


Coming out of the world art area, I came into a temporary exhibit showcasing the Canadian artist James Wilson Morrice. Winter, Montreal is the title of this work. Morrice painted this between 1905-07, influenced by his time abroad but bringing it home in terms of his subject.


Le Havre is a 1909 painting by Morrice showing an idealized version of the location- the lighthouse, for instance, was a lamp post in reality.


I finish this tour with a final view of the Christmas tree that was in the glass tower at the time.

34 comments:

  1. Delightful art! I think the first one is my favorite of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Countess Tolstaya is such a fine example of how a the placement of white paint really impacts a work of art. I love it!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...thanks goodness for creative people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Linda: it's quite a painting.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Lauren: thanks!

    @Janis: she really stands out in the gallery.

    @Tom: indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am familiar with some of these but from books only. It is lovely to see them here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the beautiful frames used for framing the beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first one is my favorite too, but they are all beautiful. I love the old frames.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, lovely collection of paintings. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are fortunate to have such a collection of fine art in our gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Marie: the Gallery has quite a collection.

    @Nancy: they're well chosen, often works of art in their own right.

    @Lois: I agree.

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Red: definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat series of photos ~ great way to spend the Winter ~ inside with Master Artists

    Happy Week to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first one is my favorite too, William.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb landscape paintings & what a beautiful Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool ceiling, love the waterfall and the lighthouse. nice!! creative. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that shot of the corridor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It has been a super tour William, lots of fabulous art.. I think the Monet is my fav in this group.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does anyone else wanna run up and down in their
    socked feet, on that long floor?

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Carol: it certainly is. For the photographer museums are a blessing in the winter!

    @Karl: they had a major retrospective of her works here a couple of years back. She was an amazing artist.

    @Christine: it was quite a tree to behold!

    @Beth: thank you!

    @Sharon: I do too.

    @Grace: The Gallery has several Monets. I always like to see them.

    @Whisk: I suspect the security guards and docents wouldn't approve!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know what I think I like most about these beautiful works of art? The frames! Those fancy frames are a work of art themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your perspective shot---one of the first things I learned in art class
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  21. It seems I've heard of Le Brun before. And the Russian noblewoman may have been my aunt. Or not. I know for sure she wasn't my uncle. I do like all of these paintings, and there are some by famous artists which I've not seen before. Like the Monet. Funny about the lighthouse, too. Sure beats a lamp post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Jenn: they certainly are.

    @MB: it's a good idea.

    @Revrunner: his works are well worth seeing, and the Gallery has a few of his.

    @RedPat: definitely!

    @Lowell: I've featured this Le Brun before. When the Gallery had a retrospective of hers, they also had a book come out with her works. I've got that book, and she really was a great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great display of beautiful paintings. I can't pick a favorite, I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such beautiful paintings, thanks for all the photographs William.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm truly sorry to see this tour end.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like today's selection. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A wonderful collection of paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Empty corridor looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Definitely the right title for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Bill: thanks!

    @Jan: you're welcome.

    @Mari: that's the thing about having such institutions close by- I always come back.

    @Kay: it's a pleasure to show.

    @Kate: thank you!

    @Klara: I think so too.

    @Norma: I thought so!

    ReplyDelete