Thursday, January 11, 2018

Sculpture And Canvas

View Of Hamilton is an 1853 oil painting by Robert R. Whale, showing a view of the town on Lake Ontario (today a city) from the vantage point of the Niagara Escarpment.


Kakabeka Falls, Kamanistiquia River dates to 1882, by the artist Lucius R. O'Brien. These waterfalls can be found west of Thunder Bay, in Ontario's north.


Winter Landscape, Laval is another Cornelius Krieghoff work. This painting dates to 1862 and features his interest in French-Canadian rural life.


Sunrise On The Saguenay, Cape Trinity is another Lucius O'Brien, an oil painting dating to 1880, showing a part of the landscape in Quebec.


Emanuel Hahn sculpted this bronze, Indian Scout, in 1913. His model was Thunder Cloud, a scout for the American military during the Indian Wars. Hahn also sculpted the bust of the same man in the second shot, named for the man himself, at the same time.


William Raphael painted this oil painting in 1879. Indian Encampment On The Lower St. Lawrence is a dramatic nightscape showing the Montagnais First Nation encamped in the evening.


The other main interior courtyard in the Gallery features a reflecting pool, visible here, as well as from below, and from the upper level.

32 comments:

  1. So many absolutely gorgeous paintings and sculptures! My favorite i the view of Hamilton. We used to have a blogger from Hamilton but he dropped out a couple of years ago. As I look at the bust (3rd from bottom) I'm again reminded how we are all one race...there is not such thing as a white race or black race or red race or yellow race, there's only the human race. Unfortunately, in this country, so many of our leaders don't understand that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful art! I like the reflecting pool too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi William, thanks for the tour through the art gallery. I love the bust of Thunder Cloud the best. I agree with Lowell that we are all one human race! Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying your exhibit. Love the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are wonderful works.
    I often try to imagine a place, before colonial settlers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nancy: so do I.

    @Lowell: yes, I remember the Hamilton blogger, Stealing Hamilton, as I recall.

    @Linda: it's quite a thing to see.

    @Pietro: thank you.

    @Marianne: as do I.

    @Jo: thanks!

    @Janis: a pleasure to show it.

    @Maywyn: I thought so.

    @Marie: thanks!

    @Jennifer: it was a different world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...such a lovely collection, William.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these works of art would fit perfectly into the Scottsdale Museum of the West. I saw quite a few there that were very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful series of artworks here and last post William, such a pleasure to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Krieghoff was a very prolific artist and left a huge record of what Canada looked like before photography.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Tom: I certainly think so.

    @Sharon: the sculptures particularly. There's one I should photograph the next time I'm in.

    @Grace: it definitely is.

    @Red: he was prolific. I've got one of his books.

    @Karl: they are indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a fine collection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful paintings of all those impressive Canadian landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i enjoy the snowy scene. peaceful. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Christine: it is quite a collection.

    @Lady Fi: I agree.

    @Revrunner: now that you mention it, it looks that way.

    @RedPat: it certainly is.

    @Jan: I agree.

    @Beth: I do as well.

    @Whisk: that's true.

    @Norma: so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful works of art, William.

    ReplyDelete
  17. An enjoyable walk through the art galley.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Classic, dreamy landscape artistry. I do like those sculptures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another beautiful series of photographs showing the art work Those sculptures are excellent aren't they.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Indian sculptures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Bill: that they are.

    @Mari: It is quite a place to visit.

    @Kay: I really go for them.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Klara: I agree.

    ReplyDelete