Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Dancer

Another pair of perspective shots, showing the next gallery space. I couldn't decide which I preferred more, so here are both of them. The two paintings flanking the doorway are paintings from Venice, by the same artist, Bernardo Bellotto.


Ignatius Sancho is a portrait by the British artist Thomas Gainsborough, depicting a musician and man of letters who was born a slave in the Caribbean and ended up in Britain, well educated and in the employ of a duke, where he became interested in the arts. 


A favourite sculpture of mine, and it can be seen in the first pair of shots. Antonio Canova's Dancer is a marvelous marble that captivates the visitor. It was completed by 1822, and is the second version of a statue done for the Empress Josephine. The first version is part of the Hermitage collection in St. Petersburg.


A Nymph Carrying The Infant Bacchus is a 1799 terracotta by the French artist Claude Michel, depicting the god of wine as a child.


Wisdom Defending Youth From The Arrows Of Love is an allegorical (and big) oil painting from 1810 by French artist Charles Maynier, which evokes mythological subjects to play into Napoleon's notion of sacrifice for the good of empire.


Madame Erneste Bioche de Misery is an 1807 oil by Anne-Louis Girodet de Roucy-Trioson, a French artist. Madame de Misery was the wife of the mayor of Saint Lye, near Orleans.

30 comments:

  1. I like the second of your perspective shots giving a tantalising view of Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choise to show the Dancer from more perspectives. She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, the sculptures are beautiful. Lovely gallery! Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the two perspective images William and Josephine is tres gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Francisco: thanks!

    @Fun60: they're marvelous paintings.

    @Tom: it definitely is.

    @Jan: I agree.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Marie: she's quite a sculpture.

    @Grace: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the texture of the dresses ... so fancy. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sculptures are beautiful, especially the dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I want to learn more about Ignatius Sancho.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for showing that Canova statue. Now I can relate it to the man who built that amazing temple I saw in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sculpture at that time was very detailed. They also used the best rock around

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Beth: they're well done.

    @Nancy: I agree.

    @Janis: just a little hint of the man he must have been.

    @Sharon: you're welcome!

    @Red: they certainly did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of those first two shots, I prefer the 2nd...there's more to it, I think. Love the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful! The sculptures are amazing, especially the Dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Dancer is beautiful & so captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. More great art! I like the 2 Venice paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like that 2nd pic best of the two! The dancer is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Lowell: it's the security camera at the top that just slightly detracts the second shot! I didn't think of that when I took it.

    @Lois: I can't help but smile when I see her.

    @Christine: she seems so life like.

    @Jenn: I do as well. I've featured them by themselves before, and think they do quite well flanking that entrance.

    @RedPat: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are fortunate to live near a great museum in a city of such culture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful art. The sculptures are gorgeous, my favorite is the Dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I prefer your second doorway. And I do like the Dancer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is that a smile I see? I love when they smile.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful sculpture and I do like the two paintings by Bernardo Bellotto.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. You got some good shots here. I can comment again. Hurrah for that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Photo#1 is the best for me. Nice perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the sculpture. That's what a real woman is supposed to look like--not the stick thin, anemic look that's favored today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Catalyst: we have an abundance of museums and galleries.

    @Revrunner: it's such a great name.

    @Bill: she's a beauty.

    @Kay: I have her coming up again soon.

    @Whisk: she does seem to be smiling.

    @Jan: thank you!

    @Stefan: thanks!

    @Klara: thank you.

    @Norma: true!

    ReplyDelete