Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Dawn Slowly Rises On A Brand New Year

As I close the year out with sunsets, so too do I begin the year's first fresh post with dawn shots. This morning view was taken back in October just as the sun was rising over the Centretown area.


This one I captured one morning in mid November, also in Centretown.


This dawn day was in late November.


And this was done in early December.


This dates from late December. I was walking down Bank Street early one morning and noticed Somerset House as I approached. I have featured this building in the past. Once a lovely 19th century inn and tavern, it has for several years now been in a state of disrepair and neglect after a renovation accident collapsed part of its interior. Weeks persisted in which this intersection was shut down to traffic. The owner-developer has spent years making excuses, maintaining long periods of silence, and whining and complaining while the building continues to decay. I still think every citizen in the city should be given the right to punch the bastard in the face. Twice. Four times for good measure.

Still, the outline of the building makes for a good shot against the pre-dawn light.


This pre-dawn view looks out over Dundonald Park downtown.


I finish with a pair from late December, when I stopped on the Mackenzie King Bridge one morning over the Rideau Canal, first photographing to the south where the dawn light was breaking through the cloud deck. Then I crossed the street, photographing the familiar landmarks of the National Arts Centre, Parliament Hill, Government Conference Centre, and Chateau Laurier in the morning light.

33 comments:

  1. ...let's make it a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photographing dawn scenes is a neat. The light in winter gives a bit of a vintage feel to the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were mostly nice and quiet dawns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn´t it amazing how different a sky can be. Nice collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lady Fi: they were.

    @Tom: hopefully!

    @Maywyn: that's true.

    @Jan: quite quiet.

    @Marleen: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunrise is also a wonderful time for photography. I think my fave of this selection would be the one featuring Somerset House. Where do I sign up to do some punching? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The city is quiet at that time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it weren't for the cold, I'd say that was a good time to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunrise and sunset are magical times William, the light, as in your photos here, is perfect! ✨😐

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice touch to start 2018 with sunrise shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, pretty sky captures. Have a great new year! Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lowell: I doubt that developer would appreciate the sentiment, but then I have an extremely low opinion of developers.

    @RedPat: it can be quite quiet.

    @Klara: I think so.

    @Sharon: but cold is good!

    @Grace: thanks!

    @Red: it seems appropriate.

    @Eileen: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! I hope to visit your part of Canada one day. (I am in Alberta)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the third and last photos are my personal favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful shots, William. A nice start to 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, another blast of your leftover cold air is now headed our way tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Jenn: thanks!

    @Marianne: this time of year is about the only time I can reliably see sunrises.

    @Christine: there's such a variety in dawns.

    @Kay: I thought so!

    @Revrunner: yes, we like exporting cold!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous skies! Love the Ottawa setting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The skies are so beautiful in the early morning plus it is quiet. Nice photos, William.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sunrise and sunsets are the best and my favourites. The snow photos are also beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uma captura perfeita! Tão lindo!!!!!!
    Um abraço

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely sky and wintry shots!

    Happy Week to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Marie: thanks!

    @Bill: thank you!

    @Nancy: we've got a good deal of snow on the ground now.

    @Norma: I thought so too.

    @Gracita: thanks!

    @Carol: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It sounds like the developer wants to raze the building and start over. It would be less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such beautiful skies ... ours have been quite grey recently so it was so lovely to see these photographs.
    I do hope the New Year has started well for you William.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete