Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Trophy Of A Governor General

Back in March there was a groundbreaking ceremony done at this location on Sparks Street for a new monument. I came upon it at the time and posted on it here. It was close to here that Russell House once stood, and in that hotel, Lord Stanley, the Governor General at the time, proposed the awarding of a championship for hockey on the 18th of March, 1892. Stanley is long gone, but his name stuck to the trophy that has been awarded ever since, mostly to the winner of the NHL playoffs. It was proposed some years ago to erect a sculpture commemorating that occasion, and since 2017 was the 125th anniversary for that first championship and the centennial of the National Hockey League, it all came together last year, with this sculpture being placed here by November. When I first heard of the plans, my only concern was that the sculpture should not detract from the National War Memorial, which can be seen in the background here. Some of the other designs would have detracted, but the selected design as seen here does not do that. It's not overwhelmingly big, and its look reflects the original Stanley Cup in a stylized way. Lord Stanley's original cup resides today in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. A bench nearby is done deliberately in the shape of a hockey puck. Not visible beneath the snow are small circles marking the names of championship teams.


I like its design. It's built for photography, with people able to walk through and pose beneath it. Its surroundings- with the National Arts Centre seen below in this shot, or the Memorial and Chateau in other perspectives- suit it well. And most importantly, it is not a distraction from those surroundings. The project, it turns out, works well at this spot.


It is particularly appealing by night, when lights are shining on it. 

34 comments:

  1. what a beautiful sculpture!! Amazing trophy.
    I am your new follower.love your interesting blog. hope you will also follow me back on G+.GFC and Bloglovin. please visit my blog.
    https://clickbystyle.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it, especially the night time illumination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's fabulous William, it definitely adds to this area, not taking anything away from the War Memorial. I think photographers will have as much fun with this as my bridge today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design and great area for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, that is an interesting sculpture and monument. I like the last two night shots. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a non hockey fan, but I like this monument. Lots of light and color emphasizes the location and monument.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos make that beautiful monument even more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've learned something new from your post today. I had no idea how the Stanley cup got its name. Now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Shweta: thank you.

    @Janey: the night time illumination is remarkable.

    @Grace: I have noticed it frequently being used for photo ops.

    @Marie: it is a good spot.

    @Sandi: I think so!

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Red: it was well done.

    @Maywyn: thank you.

    @Sharon: I am just surprised that a Brit of nobility took such a fondness to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it looks fabulous, lovely seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great. Now when I hear about the Stanley Cup I'll know more as to what the conversation's about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A proper tribute a character and a sport that are important to Canadians, [and others!]
    Mostly to the winner of the NHL playoffs? When otherwise, William? Your concern for the War Memorial does you credit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Tom: it's certainly been quite awhile.

    @Marleen: I think it is.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Lowell: that's its origin!

    @Cloudia: thank you.

    @RedPat: it was well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched some ice hockey being played on the C&O Canal this afternoon. I don't think any of those teams, though, are going to compete for the Stanley Cup. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a wonderful design, your night shots of it are indeed great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one modern sculpture that I really like. It makes a tremendous addition. Of course, I don't understand the addiction to hockey anymore that I understand the addiction to football. I do, however, have a Greatnephew who is going to Ontario this month with his hockey team.

    ReplyDelete
  17. William, those night shots are great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's indeed very nice and looks especially good at night with the background lights.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that monument. Especially with the lighting!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is a great design and a lovely sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seems like a very appropriate sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that is something to remember. I LOVE the last to photos taken in the evening (?)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoa. That's petty cool. Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Revrunner: it's not unheard of for the Sens to play a bit of shinny on the Canal when it's frozen over. Of course, this year they're not playing well at all. I actually put the blame for that more on the owner, who's increasingly become a problem for the team.

    @Bill: I was hesitant at first when I heard of the concept, but the finished work really does work.

    @Jan: thank you!

    @Mari: hockey I can understand. I don't get football or basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Catalyst: thank you!

    @Kay: that it does.

    @Janis: it works well.

    @Nancy: I do like the design.

    @FG: and it doesn't detract from the War Memorial, which to me was the most important element.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Beth: so do I.

    @Gunn: thanks!

    @Whisk: thank you!

    @Norma: I think so too.

    @Klara: quite so!

    ReplyDelete