Friday, June 16, 2017

Spring In A Garden

It has been awhile since I last showed the Landscapes Of Canada Garden at the Canadian Museum of Nature, as I last featured it in the winter. I wanted a spring perspective, and stopped by the Museum during the Tulip Festival. The Garden was opened up last year, and is meant to show four distinct landscapes with vegetation along the path. The boreal forest, with its evergreens and small flowering plants, is first.


Walking along the path takes us by prairie grassland, with the grass still low to the ground at this time of year.


On the other side of the path are tundra plants of the far north, which do well in Ottawa amid the rocks. 


The Garden includes this large steel sculpture of an iceberg along its path, which stands out well against the Museum itself.


This is another view of the Prairie grasslands area.


And the final area is the Mammoth steppe, which features the three mammoth statues along the path, with plants that would have been around thousands of years ago planted around and behind them.


Over on the east lawn of the Museum, this mother and baby dinosaur statue set always catch my eye. Tomorrow we start looking at Doors Open.

26 comments:

  1. I love the mammoths and dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see the garden coming to life. And it would be especially interesting to see more ancient plants, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see a bit of green here. Looking forward to Doors Open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...at least that iceberg will not melt because of global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice sculptures in the garden. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The building looks like a castle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful sculptures and I love those tundra plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember this area from one of your previous posts. Got to love those animal sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The museum itself is a wonderful piece of architecture William. Love the iceberg sculpture and I bet the mammoths are super popular with the kids ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Linda: I do too.

    @Kay: it was a wonderful concept.

    @Halcyon: I have managed to get the photos for the series set, but have to add text.

    @Tom: definitely not.

    @Nancy: thank you.

    @Francisco: thanks.

    @Marleen: it does!

    @Jan: I do too.

    @Lowell: I find it a good idea to periodically document it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, the museum is a beautiful building. Nice gardens and sculptures. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mammoths look like they belong there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must show us again in mid summer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like those dinosaur sculptures, they're pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mammoth and dinosaur statues are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Grace: kids just flock to this museum. I imagine it's going to be exceedingly busy on the first of July.

    @Beth: they are indeed.

    @Eileen: thank you!

    @Sharon: they do seem to belong.

    @RedPat: I plan on photographing here two or three times over the summer.

    @Bill: they certainly are!

    @Orvokki: they fit in well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nature museums are my favorite and this one is probably great but that iceberg sculpture didn't win my heart. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steel structure kinda reminds me of the Marine Corps museum I just passed on my way home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The mix of plants is lovely but I am totally intrigued by the steel sculpture design.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The prairie grass I saw in Iowa was waist high. I'm assuming this will grow proportionately.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely photos William. By the way, my sister is in Ottawa right now. Today she was posting pictures of Parliament and I recognized it from your blog! She's staying at the Fairmont Château Laurier.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The mammoths and dinosaurs are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful sculpture but my favourites are the mammoths and dinosaurs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Eve: I can see it having that effect.

    @Revrunner: that intrigues me!

    @Gemma: it's quite a sculpture.

    @Mari: gradually over the summer.

    @Lois: I hope she enjoyed her time here.

    @Norma: they're great sculptures!

    @Jan: thank you!

    ReplyDelete