Monday, June 19, 2017

Embassy Row

Since I am now in the midst of this series, I'm using my writer's blog this week for some other events going on in the city at the moment. I'm starting with an event that took place this past Friday at Lansdowne Park, where the city has been collaborating with embassies on presentations of their countries since April, a series that will be ongoing until the beginning of December. Check out the post for Ireland here.

Sandy Hill is a neighbourhood on the east side of the downtown core, with student housing and embassies among its mix. It was the site of some of the Doors Open events, and on my way to one of them, I passed by the Russian embassy, which of course was not part of the occasion, and which always seems to be saying, "get lost, or we bring out Boris."


Nearby is one of the entrances to Strathcona Park, which runs along the Rideau River in this area. 


Turning around gives us a view of this fountain at the entrance. The building in the background was featured in Doors Open. 


I came back to it on the second day of the event, as it was only participating on the Sunday. Munross House dates back to 1874, when it was home to a lumber tycoon, James Mather. It's been restored to old glories, and is home now to a restaurant, Signatures, and a culinary school, Le Cordon Bleu Paris. The lineup, however, was a bit too long for me, so I'll have to remember next year to make a point of coming here early and having this as my first stop of that particular day.


A short walk away was this grand manor. Stadacona Hall was participating for the first time in Doors Open. Built originally for another lumber magnate, John A. Cameron, in 1871, it was home to our first Prime Minister, John A. Macdonald, and his wife Agnes for a few years before their purchase of Earnscliffe. The manor has served as a residence for ambassadors of Belgium and France in the past. These days it is the High Commission for Brunei. A High Commission is the same thing as an embassy, but is used when both the diplomatic mission and the host country are members of the Commonwealth. The manor is a beauty, both outside and inside. You'll have to take my word on the latter, as photos were restricted to the exterior.

34 comments:

  1. Beautiful series, William! And I never tire of seeing fountains, so if you are planning any fountain series for the summer, I am definitely in! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting info and fine pictures, William. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to see the different houses. And the entrance to the park is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, they are all wonderful homes. The fountain is pretty too. Lovely tour! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely looking building William, so annoying the no picture thing, but I guess embassies are off limits type of places ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Linda: you're welcome.

    @Cloudia: thank you!

    @Marleen: I'll have to go back into that park sometime.

    @Francisco: thanks.

    @Tom: quite fancy!

    @Eileen: it must have been quite a conversion from house to restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting buildings, Willaim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These places look so solid and built to last. I agree with you on the Russian embassy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's rather a sad end when they turn a stately old house is turned into a restaurant. I like the high commission house with a bike parked in front...no limo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have loved to have walked with you on this tour! Great photos, too, William. Laughed at your "Boris" comment. Open Doors is a super event!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to try that restaurant where the Cordon Bleu has a school. I'll bet the food is outstanding. I took a course at the Cordon Bleu in Paris some years ago and I have my certificate hanging on my kitchen wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Grace: Earnscliffe itself is the same way- photos outside, but not inside.

    @Karl: they are!

    @Wendy: it's quite unfriendly.

    @Red: I would like to see inside. I've got another house turned into a restaurant upcoming, and there it really works.

    @Lowell: thank you!

    @Sharon: I'll have to go into the restaurant sometime. I expect it's probably pricey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the through the trees view and the fountain are great shots!! nice! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounda like the open door event is very popular. that entrance to the park is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a lovely stone house. I wonder if they were giving out samples at the Cordon Bleu, causing the lineups?

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite is Le Cordon Bleu. Or maybe I'm just hungry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the garden and park views in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Beth: thanks!

    @Janey: I found there were quite a number of people out exploring. It's impossible to get to everything.

    @RedPat: that might well be!

    @Revrunner: a good reason to be hungry!

    @Jan: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Russian Embassy...why am I not surprised?

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very attractive buildings especially the stone house. Wonderful photos William.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting, I like these old buildings and enjoyed their history.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The word foreboding is a bit mild for the appearance of the Russian embassy. The park was most inviting though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can see the high fence of the Russian embassy. I like fountains. The houses are very attractive and the park is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous High Commission building. Too bad we can't peek inside with you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely buildings, but my favorite is fig. 4.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely to see the buildings but I especially liked the second and third photograph.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would have enjoyed "doors open" ! :-)
    Great houses/mansions.
    Thanks for sharing, William.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful series . I am never bored with your spectacular photos.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Again I like photo with stairs the most. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Norma: the Russkies are grouchy.

    @Bill: thank you!

    @Denise: they've got character.

    @Mari: it's very unfriendly.

    @Nancy: thank you.

    @Kay: alas, you'll just have to take my word for it.

    @Orvokki: thanks!

    @Jan: thank you!

    @Gunn: you're welcome.

    @Carolann: I enjoy showing them.

    @Klara: you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful historical post & photos

    Namaste,
    A ShutterBug Exlores
    Aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete