Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Paths Of History

I took these shots one day in late October on Victoria Island, which sits in the midst of the Ottawa River upstream from Parliament Hill. The Kabeshinan Minitig Pavilion took up these two older buildings on the island this past summer as part of Canada 150. The house and its stone annex have their origins in the 1850s with the Bronson family, which ran mills here on the islands around the Chaudiere Falls. These buildings date to after the Great Fire of 1900, which heavily damaged the original buildings. The property was donated to the National Capital Commission by the family, and serves as a headquarters to the First Nations Confederacy of Cultural Education Centres. The annex was displaying archaeological artifacts, art, and information on the Algonquin peoples. I first came here while coming home from the Miwate event one night, after noticing a sign there about this place. I decided to come back to photograph the buildings in daylight.


People have been in the Ottawa Valley for thousands of years, since the end of the last Ice Age. Some of their relics have been uncovered over time, and are displayed in partnership with the Algonquins of the Pikwakanagan First Nation, who reside in the upper Ottawa Valley. This was also the group who partnered in the Miwate event. These are standard tools used by their ancestors such as knives, scrapers, or awls. Other pieces, such as the pottery, are contemporary reproductions by an artist to understand the techniques of early pottery.


A good deal of the art here was for sale as well. 


The collection in this space also included this traditional Algonquin birchbark canoe. 


I think it's a good use of the buildings. I find that the blend of First Nations creativity and industrial era architecture in this stone annex actually works quite well. We'll see what comes of this space in the spring, as to if this collection comes back or if a different First Nations related exhibition comes in for the season, but I think the idea of using this space in partnership is a good one.

34 comments:

  1. These are very nice exhibits. What a great place to collaborate. One of our local tribes has a small cultural center with artifacts like these but are very sensitive to having them photographed and don't allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! That's a beautiful canoe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting exhibits and I like your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What good use of those buildings. The exibits are most interesting especially the tools used by the First Nation people. Thanks for sharing. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...such a rich history to be preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kay: I did ask. They were fine with photography.

    @Linda: it certainly is!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Marianne: thank you.

    @Jo: you're welcome.

    @Tom: definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to look around this museum. I'd like to learn more about the first people who inhabited our beautiful land.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful museum with a nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a brilliant idea William, such a unique venue for an exhibition of this kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We can learn a lot by the tools they used back then, very interesting.
    I like your new header, William!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, that is a great use for the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, what a wonderful exhibit and museum. I like the art work, the moose is my favorite. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful to see and wonderful for Canada to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the stonework of the annex. It looks like a wonderful display inside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful example of a remodelled stone building put to great use!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This would be a fascinating place to visit. It's colorful and bright. many museums are very dark.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Shammickite: I'll have to see what goes on here in the spring.

    @Jan: I thought so!

    @Grace: it was a good setting.

    @Marleen: thank you!

    @Sharon: it was quite a surprise. Until the evening coming back from Miwate, I had never been that part of the island.

    @Eileen: that painting does stand out!

    @Cloudia: I agree!

    @RedPat: it's a wonderful use of the building.

    @Christine: it certainly is!

    @Red: true!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting post and exhibits, William.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic exhibit. I love the birchbark canoe, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Always nice to see your photographs, I think the birchbark canoe is very beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fascinating. I like the canoe and I love your new banner picture of the Dragon Boat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Native American museum are a treat to visit. It's amazing the difference in the birch bark canoe and the canoes that the tribes in the Pacific Northwest made. Thanks for Posting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always wanted a canoe. Wonder why? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the use partnership is a good one. Too much separation at times. Love the Algonquin treasures.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a pleasure to explore the Native American Museum through your photos ~

    Happy Week to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I didn't realize!
    I enjoyed discovering First Nations culture when teaching. Still do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love those stone walls! The art work looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So many interesting things to see, especially the simple tools and canoe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Karl: thank you!

    @Mike: it is.

    @Lois: indeed.

    @Bill: I quite agree.

    @Jan: thank you!

    @Catalyst: it's about time for me to think of a new winter banner.

    @Mari: you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Eve: they are quite appealing, aren't they?

    @MB: so do I.

    @Carol: I liked it.

    @Jennifer: it's good to teach it.

    @Klara: the old stone walls certainly do appeal to me.

    @Nancy: I agree!

    @Norma: so do I.

    ReplyDelete