Monday, December 4, 2017

Pyramids And Blocks At Night

These shots are from September, when I was coming home from an event one night. The Bank of Canada stands across from Parliament Hill, and includes a currency museum. Extensive work has been done inside and outside in recent years, including a reworking of the east side terrace, with pyramid triangles jutting up out of the main surface, well lit at night. It caught my eye, and I started photographing.


This view features one of the Parliamentary blocks looming like a ghost; this is the Confederation Block.


Also present in the background in these two shots is the Wellington Building, which houses government offices.


This final shot looks into the building itself. The original Bank of Canada building is partially enclosed in a larger, more modern glass tower that looms over it. This is as close as I'll be able to photograph it- the only time the public is allowed into that area is for Doors Open, and even then, no photography permitted. Oh well, it does look good in the night.

31 comments:

  1. Too bad that you're not allowed closer in with your camera. It looks like a very interesting building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting night shots! I rather like all the glass. That 2nd shot looks like a waterfall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice nights shots! Have a good new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pyramid emerging from the earth reminds me of the Louvre.
    And such dramatic lighting!
    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Playing with light, always nice and the results can be wonderful and surprising like in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kay: given the nature of the work it is understandable.

    @Lowell: it does!

    @Nancy: thank you.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Tom: definitely.

    @Janis: I am reminded of it too.

    @Jan: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting buildings and captures of the lights. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of that light would have attracted my attention immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curious as to why the Bank of Canada building is so off limits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A currency museum sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Eileen: thanks!

    @Sharon: it took quite awhile for this project to be done, with the work that had been carried out here.

    @Red: I imagine it's a bit of government security paranoia.

    @Marleen: I've been in it once, before the refurbishments. I wonder if the museum area has a no-photos rule.

    @Tanya: it certainly is.

    @Christine: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great night shots ~

    Happy Week to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool photos, William
    Currency museum? Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not many people around that night!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice photos, William. I really like the second to last photo, it looks awesome at night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That first photo reminded me of Luke Skywalker's light saber. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Carol: thanks!

    @Cloudia: I'll have to go in sometime.

    @RedPat: a few as I was in the area- I tended to photograph when they weren't in the image. Still, this was past ten at night.

    @Bill: it certainly does!

    @Revrunner: I can see that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting idea....lights, squares, lines....
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful night sceneries! I love the looming “ghost!”

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks really good at night, super captures William.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The second one looks like a waterfall of light....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too bad you couldn't get in there. Still, it looks interesting. Nice night photos William.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Lois: thanks!

    @Mari: thank you.

    @MB: I thought so.

    @Maywyn: thanks!

    @Tamago: so do I.

    @Grace: I should get in there. I stopped into the museum back in September, I think it was. I figured I'd wait to photograph until I needed a few days worth of posts.

    @Norma: it does!

    @Pat: thanks!

    @Klara: thank you.

    ReplyDelete