Sunday, May 13, 2018

In The Grand Hall

I did a full tour of the Museum of History, but as I wanted some extra posts before I started the Tulip Festival series, I confined myself to photographs of the exhibit I showed you in the last two days, as well as today's post. Tomorrow we get things started with tulips.

Alex Janvier's masterful mural Morning Star is a delight to see at the Canadian Museum of History, occupying a dome above the Grand Hall. It is an abstract work that fits the First Nations spirituality of the artist, and a dazzlingly colourful painting that cheers me up every time I see it, from the ground level or up close from the third level. If I had to pick a favourite work of art in the National Capital Region, this is it.


The Grand Hall features totem poles and structures typical of the Pacific Coast tribes, with artifacts in rooms behind the wall. It is a grand space, often used for official events. It was quiet while I was in here, but that's deceptive- my visit this time found a good many visitors to the Museum.


I took a shot outside from here at the river. It was a bleak, rainy day, and that fog over the river caught my eye as it seemed to creep up over the Ottawa side of the river.


Here we have a close up of one of the totem poles.


During my visit, I happened to notice several young women dressed in ballerina attire. One of them was with a photographer, using the hall to strike ballet poses. I decided to take a couple of shots.


Here we have another detail in here. If you're ever in the area, this is the first museum you should see.


This statue was added outside last year. Tessouat is a larger than life statue of an Algonquin chief who lived in this area in the 17th century. As you can see, the weather was better by the time I left.


Taking my leave, I photographed architectural details, first here on the curatorial wing of the museum.


Then I turned around and photographed the exhibit wing, with its main entrance.

34 comments:

  1. That building is an architectural marvel. Love the room with the totem poles and I agree about the Morning Star mural....I could get lost in that museum with all its wonderful artifacts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorful dome...reminds me a bit of the one in the Opera House in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lowell: it is an amazing museum.

    @Janey: which I have not yet seen.

    @Sandi: indeed!

    @Tom: it is.

    @Marie: definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colourful mural is stunning and I love the open spaces in the building, what a fabulous place it is:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a real interesting museum ! Like the colors and the totems !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tour you took us on. Over the years I've come to appreciate the beauty of this building more and more. I think it's one that will stand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cool entrance. love the ceiling. the totems are so detailed ... way awesome! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never get tired of seeing that magnificent mural!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Morning Star is truly beautiful. And what a wonderful venue for some ballet studio shots -- the light looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing place. I loved the murals.
    Have a nice sunday
    Greetings
    Maria from
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
  11. The grand hall with the totem poles is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ja diese Halle mit den Totempfählen ist beeindruckend.

    Noke

    ReplyDelete
  13. The grand hall is stunning. I love those totem poles lined up, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All in all it was a wonderful tour in the Museum of History again.
    I remember that mural 'Morning Star' from precious visits, it is a wonderful piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's great to honor the First Peoples in the Museum... and I enjoy places like that so much. A delightful and easy way to learn (or review) history (in your Museum, it would be all learning as I am woefully ignorant).... I love that first work of art ... the feeling is akin to looking through a kaleidoscope ... only more beautiful. I could get lost in that colorful mural!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing the totem poles. I have taught many a lesson about them to my primary students.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The museum is a work of art itself William. The artwork in the dome is spectacular. It is definitely one of the first places I would visit if I visit Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Rosie: it is!

    @Gattina: I enjoy coming here every chance I get.

    @Red: it is amazing architecture.

    @Beth: I just love the building.

    @Norma: me too!

    @Jeanie: I was quite surprised by the ballerina.

    @Maria: thank you!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Marleen: it certainly is.

    @Noke: thank you.

    @Bill: it's a grand space.

    @Jan: it is a showstopper mural.

    @Sallie: it is a pleasure to behold Morning Star.

    @Michelle: they have their own lessons to tell.

    @Grace: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great place and love the colors in the dome and of course ~ love the totem pole! Great shots!

    Wishing you a happy week ~
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful architecture William and beautiful domed ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great tour and series, William !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Canada's treatment of first nations is now a model for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely beautiful! Magnificent is probably a better description.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the architectural details of this museum and it's not hard to see why Morning Star is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like an awesome place!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That dome painting is spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW. What a space. Wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Carol: thanks!

    @Sami: I think so!

    @Karl: thanks!

    @Cloudia: we still have things to make up for.

    @Mari: it is indeed.

    @Kay: it cheers me up every time.

    @Catarina: you should!

    @Linda: it is.

    @Jenn: definitely!

    @Klara: yes, it is.

    @Jennifer: I agree!

    ReplyDelete