Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Memorial

Today's post features the tulips around the National War Memorial. This first shot, taken shortly before five in the afternoon, has visitors on site and the sentries at their posts near the end of their day. Sentries are relieved every hour, and at five PM, the guard is dismissed for the day. Military police or city police are on site during the guard hours, and the van had come into place to remove some of the items around the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for the night, such as the rope barriers establishing a perimeter for the sentries. I took this shot a week ago on Monday when Tom and Janette were in town. This area, centred on the Memorial and ringed by Parliament Hill, the Chateau Laurier, the National Arts Centre, and the Chambers, is referred to as Confederation Square, and a few months back a writer in one of our papers suggested that it is the Canadian equivalent of Trafalgar Square. I think they were right.


A couple of evenings later, I came back. The National Arts Centre stands across from the War Memorial, and its glass tower was lit up for the evening. Tulips in planters were positioned on the traffic island dividing Elgin Street here.


Here are some of the planters on the terrace leading up to the War Memorial, also taken that evening.


Another angle looks back at the NAC.


And this angle looks from the rear of the War Memorial. Aside from tulips in those planters, the tulips line the flowerbeds around the Memorial terrace, such as you see here. 


I came back again a day or two later around mid-day when the sentries were on duty 

34 comments:

  1. Some super shots here, William, especially those that include the National Arts Centre and the War Memorial. Tulips make perfect decorations for those spots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lowell. And I do like your series about the Tulips.
    My computer is ok just very slow right now. I have to empty out my C drive----to many photos.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these tulips look beautiful around the Memorial !

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...it's an impressive sight to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very impressive. The arts center is fabulous all aglow and the memorial beautifully done. Love the tulips in the planters, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lowell: they really do.

    @MB: I recommend downloading into external hard drives or creating email accounts to store them.

    @Gattina: I agree!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Tom: that it is.

    @Janis: I think so.

    @Jeanie: I do as well.

    @Marie: it's a great location.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this Memorial here on your blog, William. I didn't know about it, and since I will probably never get there in person, I'm glad to learn about it, as well as enjoy the tulips once again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each group of tulips more beautiful than the last!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tulips are gorgeous William but the backdrops are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures with the bright colours of the tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have to work hard to get photos without people. Pretty hard to do in Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how the tulips are just bursting out of those planters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @DJan: the Memorial is a favourite photo subject for me.

    @Norma: and still more to come!

    @RedPat: so many of them, yes.

    @Grace: I agree.

    @Nancy: thanks!

    @Red: especially at the height of the tulips.

    @Sharon: I do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressive, William ! Is there a place without tulips ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fitting sight. We remember the Canadian soldier, Nathan, who died there a few years back....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous memorial site and the flowers are amazing ~

    Happy Day to you,
    C & Z

    ReplyDelete
  17. The National Arts Centre looks brilliant all lit up. I like how you framed the tulips with the NAC, it's a lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. William, when you're writing about armed sentries I think you should substitute the word "photos" for "shots". :> Loved that one of the brilliantly lit National Arts Centre.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Specially the last three shots are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great selection of photographs William.
    I think the glass tower lit up is quite beautiful and it stands out so well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Karl: in terms of major sites, Rideau Hall is the only one that comes to mind that doesn't really have an organized tulip bed. I think there are planters around the National Gallery, but even if not, the tulip beds across the street in the park count as close enough.

    @Cloudia: yes, the plaque for him is placed on the east side of the memorial. I pass by it often.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Bill: thanks!

    @Catalyst: I hadn't thought of it that way!

    @Jan: thank you.

    @Jan: it does!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The blue and red contrast is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Arts Centre is a real knockout at night.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful square it looks, your photos are super and I love the one with the glass tower lit up for the evening:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The red tulips juxtaposition with the Canadian flag beautifully compliment one another.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW! So many beautiful tulips. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really thoughtful shots! I know we won't make it down there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. those are almost black ... way cool. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  29. I noticed black tulips (or very dark). These are so beautiful. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Mari: thanks!

    @Kay: that it is.

    @Rosie: thank you.

    @Rosemary: I agree.

    @Betty: thank you.

    @Jennifer: you should try to come in sometimes for events like these.

    @Beth: thank you.

    @Klara: purple. Some purple ones really get dark.

    ReplyDelete