Tuesday, May 1, 2018

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Laugh

The first day of each month is a theme day for members of City Daily Photo, and for May, that theme happens to be Laugh. Take a look at how others are handling this theme right here.

For this theme, I thought first of the restaurants that tend to have chalkboard signs at their entrances with funny sayings. My first pair I originally put up at Facebook after taking them, since I would have been deep into various series at the time and wasn't posting them here. This sign was out in front of a shop in the Glebe after the Brexit referendum.


And this one in front of a restaurant in the Glebe dates back to the fall of 2016.


These are more recent. I photographed this one at Mrs. Tiggy Winkles, a toy store in the Glebe, in February.


This was up the street outside a restaurant around the same time.


Another Glebe restaurant had this outside their entrance at Valentine's.


One evening heading home through the Glebe I photographed signs outside two restaurants.


And this was taken in the later part of March.


Still in the Glebe, Sweet Bite, a bakery that specializes in wedding cakes, has a mock up one in their front window. The bride and groom topper suited this theme nicely.


To finish, I decided to add text to a classical religious painting via the Imgflip site. Christ And The Adulteress is an oil painting by Lucas Cranach the Elder, dating around 1535-40 and part of the collection of the National Gallery of Canada. I took this photo during a 2017 visit. The second take, of course, is my skewered sense of humour, with some adapted dialogue from Conan The Barbarian

The Sisters Of Little Or No Mercy would not be impressed with me.

34 comments:

  1. These are so funny. A great way to put a smile on my face this morning. Thanks William :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You worked hard to make this day great for your readers!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...these are GREAT! The bride and groom topper is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Catarina: thank you!

    @Lowell: I did indeed.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Denise: you're welcome.

    @Janis: I enjoyed putting this one together.

    @Lady Fi: they definitely were.

    @Tom: it certainly is.

    @Marie: it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the temporary signs can be very witty. My favorites are signs with innocent mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. some good signs here but, I love that cake topper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots and lots of smiles here! You picked some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughing out loud William 😀😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strange ending, but a very fun post, William!

    ReplyDelete
  10. in my humble opinion ... laughter gets me through anything ... i know sometimes is not the so called proper time ... but who the heck cares. i say laugh. love the Caesar salad one ... that is my fave!! maybe 'cause i love those sort of salads. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Laugh" a great way to celebrate 1st of May! Here we celebrate Labour's Day on 1st May.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like those signs. A good choice for the theme. I didn't do the theme this time for the first time in years - I don't take pics of people and had nothing that suited the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those signs made me laugh. Great finds for the theme, William.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Red: I'm lucky to be able to be around so many of these establishments that have these signs.

    @Sharon: it's a good one!

    @Jeanie: thank you!

    @Grace: thanks!

    @Cloudia: that's my weird sense of humour!

    @Beth: that restaurant's a good one.

    @Nancy: thanks!

    @RedPat: this one came easy to me as themes go.

    @Bill: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some funny signs and sayings, the wedding cake is wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, these are great. I especially like the wine one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Signage can be and is so funny and you found some good ones.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful takes on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Rosie: it's quite a topper!

    @Eden: I did too.

    @Sandi: humour in truth!

    @MB: I like looking for them, and knew they'd be ideal for this theme.

    @Magiceye: thank you.

    @Kay: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is some creativity in this type of signage, and it must draw people in!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't understand them all, but some are indeed quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love funny signs, the pub by my office always has some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photo choices ~ laughter so good for the soul!

    Happy Week to you ~
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did very well with all of these William ... thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. No, the sisters would not be happy with you at all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Jennifer: it does.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Jenn: these ones do, especially as the weather is warm.

    @Carol: I certainly agree.

    @Jan: you're welcome.

    @Klara: thanks!

    @Norma: definitely not!

    ReplyDelete