Sunday, October 7, 2018

Chief Of The Undersea World

Picking up where I left off in yesterday's post, this was the view of topiaries to come, with the Ottawa shoreline visible across the river.

I took another perspective of the poppy topiary.


Then I photographed down the steps towards the main path, with a view of things to come.


This topiary pair was added for this year. Snowy Owls depicts two of the birds that are found in vast northern stretches of the country. If you look at the background of these shots, you can make out the Alexandra Bridge, as well as the Peace Tower across the river.


Part of the pathway here allowed for another view of the topiary from behind.


I moved back along the main path to this topiary, back from last year, and which you've seen above. Chief Of The Undersea World: Bill Reid's Killer Whale is the title of this topiary representing British Columbia. Reid was a Haida sculptor whose vivid sculptures are found in many places in Canada. The bronze version of Chief Of The Undersea World can be found at the Vancouver Aquarium, while the plaster version is here, at the nearby Museum of History. Reid's depiction of the killer whale includes First Nations symbology, a nod of the importance to Pacific Coast peoples of the animal's place in their culture, and its faithful interpretation as a topiary is quite a sight to see.

33 comments:

  1. You live in the most beautiful city.
    The Owls are beautiful and the First Nation Whale is wonderful.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was already impressed by the owls, but this First Nations whale is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just amazing! How do they even do this? Look at the detail on the owls. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...oh, how I wish that I could see these in person. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those owls are incredible work. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooooove the snowy owls William, they are magnificent! Was good to see the back wing shot too, beautifully created!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the owl ... is that a fish or whale? either way ...very creative too. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are amazing sculptures. I love the owls. Enjoy your day and have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Parsnip: thanks!

    @Jan: I think so too.

    @Sandi: it is a lot of work.

    @Marleen: so do I.

    @Tom: you'd enjoy it.

    @Marie: I did.

    @Grace: I agree.

    @Beth: a whale.

    @Eileen: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent stories and sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These topiaries are amazing. I could look all day.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sculptures are amazing. I can't imagine all the work that goes in to creating them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those owls are pretty incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow---the topiaries and the colors are amazing
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um incrível trabalho de arte floral. Fotos impressionantes
    Um abraço

    ReplyDelete
  16. cool snowy owls and final tribal creature!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Love the owls ~ beautiful and creative topiaries!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Red: it was quite something to see in person.

    @Janis: I enjoyed my visit.

    @Bill: it's a lot of work.

    @Sharon: I agree.

    @MB: they are!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Gracita: thank you!

    @Maria: it's beautifully done.

    @Cloudia: I agree.

    @Carol: they are wonderful.

    @Klara: definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are wonderful ones, William!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the owls have it. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Again, this would be pretty scary in the dark. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love those owls. The latest Smithsonian magazine has an article about snowies along with some beautiful shots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just amazing. It's hard to find words. Thank you for showing them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those owls are incredible! I’m also blown away by all the amazing events in your City! It’s really a happening place and it’s wonderful that you get to all of these events. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with Sallie. The owls are my favourite today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This just gets better and better.
    I've never been privileged to see work such as this, your photographs show them very well indeed.
    The owls are incredibly beautiful, as are the other pieces too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. @RedPat: they certainly are.

    @Mari: they're good!

    @Happyone: I knew people would go for the owls.

    @Revrunner: definitely!

    @Kay: I'll have to look for that magazine.

    @Jennifer: you're welcome.

    @Denise: very much so!

    @Sallie: you're welcome.

    @Klara: they're good!

    @Jan: it's a pleasure to do so.

    ReplyDelete