Sunday, September 22, 2019

Transport

Fall is upon us, and so I decided to switch out my header yesterday for an autumn view taken last October at the Champlain Lookout over on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, in Gatineau Park. 

Continuing on with the museum visit, panels and displays examine steel, which has been with us for a very long time, and which today has many variants.


I then moved into an area concerning itself with transportation- of many kinds.


This is an amphicar, the only consumer type ever produced, dating from 1961. 


Overhead were bicycles.


This being Canada, of course there were snowmobiles, which have evolved over time in design specs to look like what we generally have today, at right.


Winter is a preoccupation in Canada, and this pillar puts things in perspective, showing the average snowfall in Canadian cities each year. St. John's tops the list. Ottawa gets a lot. Places in the Prairie heartland get less, but that's because they have a drier climate, and they get a similar brutal cold as we do. Toronto, of course, has television forecasters who panic at the first sign of a snowflake and predict the end of the world and say it's time to eat your dead. 


One way of getting out and about in winter is on snowshoes. These are contemporary ones.


These are more of the traditional type.


The Huron-Wendat Museum in Quebec City takes visitors on snowshoe hikes in the winter. This is one place I've never been to, though I have been in Quebec City.


Another kind of transport- ships of the ocean going variety. These models include a sailing ship, a freighter, a ferry, and a cruise ship.

42 comments:

  1. Lovely fall header. So many interesting to see at the museum. A wide collection of antique cars, bicycles, snowmobiles, snowshoes and ships. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Television forecasters...you have it spot on! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, what a cool exhibit. I love the bikes and the snowshoes. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked snowshoeing, or at least liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nancy: thanks!

    @Maywyn: it felt appropriate.

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Marie: I agree.

    @Anvilcloud: I like it.

    @Italiafinlandia: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weather forecasters are all the same William 😉 excellent continuing visit to the museum here and yesterday. Your new autumn header is gorgeous 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love transportation museums. Never been on snowshoes...may someday if I get the chance though! Thinking about snow is strange for today. I'm looking forward to fall right now. Love the header!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...I love you new header! Getting around has always been an important part of life. I once saw an amphicar, that was neat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muito belo esse cabeçalho outonal
    Para mim que vivo num país tropical é quase impossível pensar em neve
    As fotos são magníficas, William
    Um abraço

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful header shot and great choice to show the changing to Autumn. Thank you for sharing all these fascinating exhibits you go to. Always very much enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like your new header. I had no idea steel has been around for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the new header. I remember a lot of fuss about amphibious cars in the 1960s, they really had great ambitions for the design but it all came to nought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice header! No snow out there today - it is so hot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your new header. I am trying to figure out where it is .The crazy wall is fabulous.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the bikes! Wonderful new header William.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those vintage cars are nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful old cars! I love it!
    ...they reminds me of grandfather's cars!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Neat to see all those bicycles.
    Like your new header!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your header. I'd like to try walking in snowshoes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the new header. I am ready for fall. Very, very dry here so it looks like fall even though our temps are high. Nice green car, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post and photos ~ favorite are the vintage cars ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh that Autumn header is stunning! And as always, the exhibits you cover so well are interesting. But that “preoccupation with winter” does go a ways toward explaining why we have so many Canada snowbirds as neighbors in Florida! (They are all wonderful people...no fooling!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. My husband would go straight to those ship models.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is fascinating to ponder how people discovered how to make steel (and many other things).

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Laurie: you're welcome.

    @Grace: thank you.

    @Barbara: I've used snowshoes, but it has been awhile.

    @Tom: this one was a sight to see.

    @Gracita: thank you!

    @Denise: thanks!

    @Red: it felt appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @DJan: it has!

    @John: we still see amphibious buses here.

    @RedPat: it should cool down again as the week goes along.

    @Parsnip: thanks!

    @Marleen: thank you.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Bill: they are.

    @Ella: I can see that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Happyone: thanks!

    @Klara: I've done it.

    @Michelle: here fall is slowly settling in.

    @Carol: thank you!

    @Sallie: I love winter!

    @Kay: I can see that.

    @Iris: wow indeed!

    @Joan: it is, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love my snowshoes!! They are modern ones. Bought by my kids when my middle kid was working at MEC!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I find transport particularly interesting. I'd not thought of snowshoes, though!

    ReplyDelete
  30. can not imagine wearing snow shoes? love the cars. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  31. So many modes of transport all reliant on steel:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great new header for the season, William.

    ReplyDelete