Friday, September 6, 2019

Twilight Falls Upon The Capital

Picking up where I left off yesterday, the sun was setting over the Gatineau horizon, Nepean Point, and the Ottawa River.


Looking up from where I was, you wouldn't have thought it was twilight looking up at the Champlain statue. In reference to a question from yesterday, Champlain is holding aloft his astrolabe, an instrument for navigators and astronomers. The sculptor made an error, as Champlain is holding the instrument upside down.


All appearances to the contrary, it was twilight. The light was starting to fade.


I started to depart from the Point.


Down in Major's Hill Park, I looked back. Champlain's statue can just be glimpsed between the trees.


And I leave off with this last shot, taken at the Ottawa Locks from Plaza Bridge. Tomorrow I have sunsets taken at different dates and in different places.

44 comments:

  1. Lovely sunset photos. Perhaps Champlain was figuring out a route "down under!" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda just put it all right! :-) Nothing to add but thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some beautiful sunset photos William.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Capital town is setting itself to sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful series of images William 💛

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...an ending to another beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twilight is my favourite time of day. These pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice sunset photos. I'm always amazed to learn of discrepancies in statues like holding the instrument upside down! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Linda: indeed!

    @Iris: thanks!

    @Rosemary: I agree.

    @Francisco: thanks.

    @Sami: thank you.

    @Italiafinlandia: it is.

    @Grace: thanks!

    @Tom: definitely.

    @Marie: it's a good time of day.

    @DJan: a rather permanent blunder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This area is really beautiful at sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful soft evening shots...I'm imagining it was warm and with a little breeze - the way summer evenings will be remembered in a few weeks. Thanks for info on astrolabe! I'm like that artist and had no idea how it was used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting that when you're flying it stays light and you see the ground. as soon as you land it's dark. Your photos remind me of this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful twilight shots. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i enjoy the city shots, or the sunset views. so pretty. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  15. I especially like the twilight skyline photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful twilight photos, William.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Jeanie: that it is.

    @Barbara: you're welcome.

    @Red: I can see that.

    @Maywyn: thank you!

    @Nancy: thanks!

    @Beth: they are.

    @Gattina: thanks!

    @Sharon: so do I.

    @RedPat: I thought so too.

    @Bas: thank you.

    @Catalyst: indeed.

    @Bill: definitely.

    @Cloudia: thank you!

    @John: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. No sunset here, I'm afraid, not with the remnants of Hurricane Dorian still hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really captured some great sunset photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Many lovely shots. I'm fascinated by the lack of lights.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely twilight. (Clearly the sculptor is more an artist than a navigator.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice twilight scenes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. The photos are great. I can't help but snicker everytime I see that astrolabe upside down!

    ReplyDelete