Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Floral River And Rocket

Yesterday I mentioned the formal bed of tulips along the east side of the Museum's curatorial wing. Here it flows, with a river of shrubs and bushes behind it.


A short walk to the east lies Jacques Cartier Park. Here there are also large tulip beds, but this year I couldn't access them. The area of the park they're in is undergoing some rehabilitation at the moment, and so they were out of reach. Instead I photographed tulips at the park entrance.


They can also be seen behind this larger than life sculpture of the legendary Montreal Canadiens hockey player Maurice "Rocket" Richard. Whenever I photograph this sculpture, I am reminded of Birdman, the late photoblogger from New England who some of you knew. As a Boston Bruins fan who saw the Rocket in action, he and other Bruins fans hated the Habs teams of that era, and would comment about it when I'd show this one. The mutual loathing between Habs and Bruins fans persists to this day, but in Quebec, the Rocket was a legend, and throughout NHL history, he remains one of the greatest to ever play the game.

24 comments:

  1. ...let the beauty and color keep on flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Beautiful view of the tulips.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine all of those beds of tulips need to be replanted with annuals in the spring. What a huge job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The long curving beds of tulips are attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Agnieszka: definitely.

    @Tom: and more to come.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Marie: he was one of a kind.

    @RedPat: yes, there would be new ones there right now.

    @Red: that they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the Rocket, I was a Bruin fan growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely. Spring is such a short season. My plants flower all along the 3 seasons. Tulips, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that flower river, it’s so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the long curving beds of tulips look lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the yellow and the purple! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember Birdman. He was quite a character!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember Birdman fondly William, still think of him from time to time as you do when certain subjects come up :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the variety of colors in these flower beds!

    ReplyDelete